Gear up warning buzzer for a 1413.

Gary Brink

I am putting my 1413-2 back together and my gear up warning buzzer doesn't work. Do any of you guys with parts have one that you want to part with? Also, I'm looking for the small cover that goes over the trim tab indicator that shows the position of the trim tab. I got one from a 1419 but it doesn't fit. Mine is fastened by only two screws and some of them have three screws.
Thanks,
Gary Brink

This is the same buzzer found in Vegas slot machines.....no kidding! I checked it out 30+ years ago.
Seriously, I'd find a modern, light weight replacement at Radio Shack or Lancair or ??? Any reasonable IA should accept a replacement buzzer under current Manual AC43-13 allowances for vintage a/c.

The original gear warning was a bell. It sounds like an old telephone. Minwe does, anyway. You could probably get one of those separate "ringers" for a telephone and wire the bell portion ionto ther airplane under the seat where it normally goes. I think these ringers operate on 12V so it should work.

I had the original telephone bell in the crate. Worked fine except you won't hear it with the engine running ( Bellancas are very noisy). I did years ago ,what Dan C said ,went to Radio Shack and bought the loudest damn buzzer I could find. It saved me years later when I almost did a gear up. There are those who did , those who will and it can happen to you. Murphy's Law, Murphy was an optimist! Lynn the crate :shock:

The box is a P2 Audio advisory system. I have installed three, the latest is in a 1939 Spartan Exec. It too has no gear safety same as the Bellancas ie pump on gear comes up or electrics hot gear comes up! I also put in an airspeed saftey switch like on the Mooneys. It has to be going 60mph before the gear will move. Murphy says better safe than sorry.Lynn the crate 8)

Anybody who is handy electrically can easily repair the original bellanca bell/buzzer.

All buzzers are just an electromagnet with an interupter switch ( set of points) on a spring steel arm.

The only things that can go wrong are:

1. burned out coil... really an open coil. Remove.. unwind the wire ( wind onto a dowel )
find open place... clean and solder the wire back together,
and rewind on the magnet core.
If truly burned up.. go to a motor winding shop and buy the same guage enameled wire.. and wind a new coil. Not terribly critical.

2. Burned points.... buy a point dressing file at an auto parts store.. and file your points just like in a distributer.

3. Mis-adjusted points... bend the spring arm experimentally untill the bell/buzzer sounds reliably.

By the way... old telephones used high voltage.. not 12 volts.

Back