generator or alternator

bobgoodman

my plane has a generator. it works fine. it's not broken. i have a good small modern alternator on the shelf. would you swap them out?

i'm thinking no, because i generally don't fix things that aren't broken.

but long-term, generators are problematic. they have brushes that wear out. regulators for them are expensive. they don't charge well at slow speeds.

also, i would lose a few pounds on the nose, which in the cruisemaster is a good thing. and alternators that don't get hot last a long, long time.

what would you do?

bobg

Hi Bob... you have pretty much answered your own question. But for the record I agree with your main comment, if it's not broke, don't fix it! If you do make the switch to the alternator please invest in a new voltage regulator with an over-voltage clamping circuit. Also, if you install an alternator you will want to wire up a switch to control power to the field circuit - just a little extra work. Remember too, that if your battery goods dead you can always prop the engine to start it (haha) but that won't help your alternator produce any voltage.

Both of my starter and generator are working fine.

I was lucky to get almost new SkyTec starter for less than $100 and looking for a lightweight alternator for replacing generator.
This will be done in any case - taking off some weight from the nose and higher alternator reliability covers all that maintenance for me.

I swapped out my generator for an alternator, but only because I was having issues with my generator throwing belts. I thought it was generator bearings going bad, but it was actually the accessory drive pulley on the engine that had been installed upside-down by the overhaul shop (It had been throwing belts for 500 hours). No wonder it came with 2 extra belts.
I wouldn't go through the trouble of replacing the generator unless you were already having problems with it, OR you were pulling the motor forward for another reason.
I was replacing my motor mounts, which required slinging the motor, so my job was made easier. It is entirely possible to convert to an alternator without slinging the motor forward, but it would be more trouble and frustration than just pulling the motor mounts and slinging. Do not let anyone fool you into thinking that it is a quick swap job. It took me 2 solid days of work because you will inevitably find wiring you want to replace or remove, will have to install a new breaker, gauge, etc. It adds up and anytime spent on your back under a CruiseMaster panel shortens your lifespan at a 2 to 1 rate.

The alternator conversion kits are now cheap enough that it is worthwhile to switch to an alternator rather than rebuilding a generator.
The weight savings are also fairly considerable, especially if you ditch the old starter while you are at it.
A smaller advantage is that the alternator is also considerably smaller in physical size, which makes back of engine access to other things a bit easier.

An easier power-related project would be switching your wingtip and landings lights to LED's. The reduction in current requirements negate a lot of the advantages of a high output alternator.

-Adam

thanks for the good advice. im going to leave it alone until it breaks. then i'll swap them out.

looks like there won't be any flying, and not much mechanic-ing this weekend, the weather here is awful for either.

a good day to sit by the fire and read. it's winter, even in alabama.

bobg

Back