Generator Removal

dtreid

What is the procedure to remove the 35amp generator from my Cruisair with a 165 Franklin?

It does not look like there is enough room to slide the generator back without moving the engine forward. Surly not!!!

It looks that way, but if you finagle it around, it will come off. Seems the more you do it, the easier it gets.(That didn't help much) Putting it back on also requires some finagling. Just remember what direction/orientation it was in when you took it off. If I remember right, I shifted the back of the gen down and towards the left side of the plane. It has been years since I took it off.

If you get real frustrated, you can always take the right mag off, but that is actually more trouble than it is worth (imho) Just keep shifting it, it will come off. Good luck!
LL

The reason for my removal question is that I found a little chunk of the generator shock absorbing donut in the oil when I changed it. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth pulling the generator when things are working fine.

The reason I pulled mine was because the coupling sheared. Depending on how you fly (day, VFR) I guess you can wait until it fails. I doubt it will be long before it does fail if you're finding pieces.

Are you sure it's from the gen and not the mags? If it's mags, you might not want to wait. I believe that Susan has both mag and gen couplings.

I have both mag and generator pieces to compare and it is definitely from the generator. Mags have both been done in the last 25 years, generator has not, and the piece was rock hard like it was from 1946. Plane is flown VFR day only as well.

Well I don't like to tell people what to do regarding their planes unless I' m working on it, but based on your description, I'd change the coupling.

I haven't biten the bullet on r and r ing my starter.. but more of the same.
My last real oil leak...the previous owner couldn't do it.. so I haven't tried... since he was an A&P
but there has to be a magic bellanca jiggle dance ... right ?

If it really stops leaking completely, how will I know I still have oil ? :lol:

Well, turns out the piece of rubber that I found in the oil was in fact from the RH magneto drive coupling. There was about one button left driving things! Glad I caught it.

Do you have the single piece drive couplings or the individual buttons? The individual buttons are recommended (should) to be changed at 300 hours time in service.

That mag coupling that failed was the one piece unit. The other mag was the individual buttons. Mags were overhauled in 1984 and only have maybe 200hrs on them, so I was surprised that the rubber was so rock hard and brittle.

Well, that was 30 years ago on the overhaul...that probably used "used cushions" or 30 or 40 year old "new old stock." I'll bet you have "flat rotors" and several outstanding bulletins on those Bendix Mags, as well.
Dan

"There was about one button left driving things! Glad I caught it"

Ho Lee Crap BatMan !

We have redundant mags... in case somebody forgets to look in there for say...32 years.

Let's just say that the knowledge that the former owner of your plane is now flying a 250 mph experimental homebuilt and only lives 20 air minutes from my airport.. does NOT improve my sleep at night.
:roll: :mrgreen:

hope that not only an oil change, but pulling the pan and cleaning the screen of the oil pump intake
is on the list.. I would want to take apart, clean, inspect my oil pressure relief gizmo.. to be sure that isn't
being stuck by a chunk of junk.

I'll trade you for my intake manifold that tried to fall off in flight...

:roll:

Back