Got me an Aeromatic prop. Need help installing...

kitepilot

Hello All!
I got me a new (looks LIKE new!) Aeromatic prop for my 14-13.
I already have the 'B21-021 Aeromatic Propeller Operator Manual (F200)' (also known as the 'Field Service Instructions') and the 'B21-031 Aeromatic Propeller Overhaul Manual (F200)'
My A&P is asking me about (from the TC) 'Parts List Assembly No. 4275' and 'Installation Procedure and Operating Limitation No. 1B'.

Where do I find those?

I got 2 spinners with the prop, the 'Bellanca' one (without backplate) and a 'Swift' one (with all the goodies).
And I wonder:
Can I mix and match spinners?
I'd like to keep the one I have, assuming that I can fit all the hub paraphernalia inside.
Is that possible/legal?
I did read a lot of messages about backplates in the forum, but could not find if/whom can build one or the legalities of either choice.

I have the 150HP engine.
Thanks!

Look up Mr. Tarver, in Nevada. He has a website. Google: Aeromatic Prop/

He holds the whatever it's called ( type certificate ? ) for the Aeromatic..
so he is the go to guy.

Congratulations.. I love mine ! Makes the cruisair do what it is supposed to do
on 150 hp.

Swift used a continental 125.. should say something about the backing plate and spinner
right there.

You need to have the Aeromatic owner/operator manual, sometimes available on Ebay or as a reprint from Univair. It shows all the parts, procedures, and some basic maintenance. Follow the instructions in the field service manual for initial setup. Make sure the hub/blade assy. is correct for the airplane. The Continental 125/145/O-300A all share the same SAE #3 hub flange as the 150/165 Franklin, but the Swift spinner is smaller in diameter and won't match the Bellanca nosebowl.
Dan

Thanks for the answers, but...
I am in contact with Mr. Tarver (GREAT guy) and I've gotten a lot of input from him.
I'll ask him if he has these documents, but drawing from previous conversations, I doubt it...

I already bought from the club all the Aeromatic publications (2) and the information that I need is not there.

What I need is 2 documents that the TC names as:
'Parts List Assembly No. NNNN'
and
'Installation Procedure and Operating Limitation No. NNN'

There lines are show in every 'Aeromatic' paragraph on the TC, but with different numbers.
I think that my case (a straight 150HP engine) corresponds to the first one, but I don't really know.

Is there a mechanic on this list willing and able to help me with this process?
Either willing to do it (and teach me) if I fly the plane there o to talk directly to my A&P friend and explain him the 'ins and outs' of doing this?
Does anybody have a backplate or a full blown spinner thingy for sale that I can just 'bolt on' and go on my merry way?
I need help, I happen to be kindda dumb, I am a computer geek... :(

I sent my Aeromatic prop to Kent and he overhauled the hub, put new blades on it and returned it complete with the installation/owners manual.
Maybe he is out of them.
Gary.

OK......4275 is nothing more than the hub/blade assembly number, found on the data plate of the hub.
1B is nothing more than superseded Koppers info. incorporated into Universal/Univair/Tarver installation procedures.
To install this propeller, you must incorporate the illustrated Aircooled Motors flange bushings #17536,
AN76-10 bolts X 8
cup washers p/n 2506 X8
AN6H-10 are acceptable replacement bolts
I would consider -11/-12 lengths to be acceptable as well.
Prop bolts are to be torqued to 300in/lb...per Kent Tarver. Remember to track the propeller!
The propeller MUST be set up per the "Field Instructions" or it'll never work right.
A properly operating and setup Aeromatic is the best all around propeller for the Cruisair and a joy to fly behind.
Now, your A&P owes me a crème soda for doing all his homework.... Dan

Parachute artists fly Cirrus!____ KitePilot, Kent once told me that Univair had the proper size domes, so I would think that they might have the proper size backing plates that could be approve under owner supplied parts. The steel support in the nose bowl is the only thing unusual about an Aeromatic spinner. Putting an Aeromatic on my plane in place of the type certificated Sensichnich (SP?) 74/66 was a wonderful improvement in performance.____Grant.

I forgot, you will need the proper prop bolts. If Kent doesnt have them, give me a shout, I might have 8.____Grant.

There is one problem with the original spinner backing plate for the Aeromatic on a Bellanca--about 75% of them are cracked around the circumference of the flange. I make a sandwich with two discs of 5052 or any "O" condition aluminum X .032 and rivet together. You may need -11 or -12 bolts after this.
Dan

Dan Cullman said:
P.S. I thought computer geeks flew Cirrus?
I am an odd computer geek and an odd pilot (and some more odd things).
I began flying hangliders, went to single engine, bought a Bellanca Superviking (when everybody told me that the 'wise' choice was to fly a C-182 at best), became a skydiver, escalated to CFI, delved into taildraggers, sidetracked to towing gliders and hangliders, became a glider CFI, grew up to multiengine...

Fourteen years later (not counting hangliding) I still enjoy one of those activities any weekend, anywhere near my home, regularly without paying anything because I either have a victim paying for the fuel or the glider, and I certainly don't pay for towing (sometimes I even get paid! :) ) and I pay my dues skydiving by (OH GAWH!) flying the jumpers...

That's not counting that I have managed to fly over some 80% of the continental US including most of the Rockie Mountains (sometimes using glider techniques to 'soar' above passes because the underpowered plane wouldn't climb high enough), the Appalachians, parts of NW Mexico, a glider over the Andes in Chile, some 10% of the surface of Alaska (where I flight-instructed for a few months in Cubs and Champs and whatnot)

I've taken my little 'Little Belle' from Redding CA to Denver over the Rockies, to Chattanooga, Miami and back to Nebraska.
She gets around...

Never mind that I started late (save hangliding) after I got to this country in my early thirties with a backpack and a hundred dollar bill in my pocket...

Yep, I am an odd ball...
And I would not own *ANY* single engine 4/seater other than a low wooden wing Bellanca (and I've flown a couple of Cirrus, NAHW...)

And at the end, I considerer everyone in this list an odd ball!
You think you are not?
Look at faces of the people that see you land in any airport with such an work of art! :)
THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!

Older oddball reporting in from Costa Rica, Kite. :)
Nice C.V. ,yours.

The assembly 4275 should appear on the data plate on the hub and it references the hub only. Many blades will fit that hub and are spec'd separately in the aircraft TCDS. BTW, a mod was required on that hub many years ago. To reflect that change, it should be marked 4275-1.
Swift Aeromatic blades are usually 73 inch, Bellancas 74 inch, and Stinsons 76 inch. If the blades you have are not in the 14-13 TCDS, you might be looking at some paperwork. I flew a Cruisair with a 76" Stinson Aeromatic, and it worked great.... but.
Anyway, a lot of good hardware info in the posts above.
Ron Marks

Back