Granville Strut Seal

guzziduck

Have been planning on doing the stacked seal and o-ring mod to the landing struts as they were leaking worse after they were fixed at annual than before, but just recently snugged up the packing nuts ( one was not safety wired and quite loose) and they aren't leaking nearly as bad now. I read Dan's post about Granville strut seal and was going to give it a try, but the way they were leaking I figured I'd just make a more expensive puddle. Now with the leaks sealed fairly well I am wondering if the stuff might do the trick. Just wondering how much one can expect from the product, kind of hate to just watch it puddle on the floor as it is kind of pricey, but would sure be quicker than tearing the struts apart. Also is there a good way to place jacks on the plane without taking the wing root faings and such off to get at the wing attach point? Thanks, Richard

I used 4 of these per side in my Crusair and so far they looks good and dry.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1852675&PMT4NO=0

Kevin

I don't know what you use for a jack. If you had the right accessory to engage the center section, you could jack and suspend your airplane at this position. I use an adjustable tripod stand for the center section and jack from the axle. You can cut a small rectangular slot in the fairing, under the center section for your stand or jack. Dan

Was at the hanger yesterday and the struts have started puking again, looks like I'll need to do the seals. Kevin, did you o-ring the packing nut or just replace the packing with the seals you posted about? Thanks, Richard

I did not do the O-ring, just the seals. They have been in a couple weeks now and not a drop past them yet.

Kevin

Back