Grounded by the trim... :(

kitepilot

One and half months waiting for the panel, toy out, broken trim...
I broke part 9856-A shown in page 46 of the Cruisair parts manual.
Where can I find such part?

Now, the part that got damage doesn't look anything like what I see in the schematics.

The broken part is:
http://kitepilot.com/N74375/trim/trim-flex-shaft.jpg

This part was somehow attached inside the fitting in:
http://kitepilot.com/N74375/trim/trim-end.jpg
You are looking under the left elevator right in front of the trim tab.

The parts manual pages are:
http://kitepilot.com/N74375/trim/page-46_parts-manual-14-13-parts.pdf
http://kitepilot.com/N74375/trim/page-47_parts-manual-14-13-parts.pdf
Thanks!

Can somebody please point to me where to find this mysterious 'speedometer cable' (that no shop seems to recognize) or at least give me a more descriptive name (or part number) of what am I looking for... :(
I'd post pictures here of the faces that I've gotten, but I don't believe those people would like it.
Nobody seems to recognize what I have on hand...
I called Univair and the people there was SO unhelpful that I will never call again unless they have the last copy in the Universe of whatever I need.
Please help...

Work your way thru:

http://www.bellanca-champion.typeclubs.org/BB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2207&p=15377&hilit=trim+cable#p15377

It is a long post. If you send me your email, I can send you a poor copy of the drawing, or Robert should be able to do it, as the club has the drawing.

Larry

Kite Pilot, that is speedo cable, but the picture in the parts book shows it with a rubber sleeve over it. Many Cruisairs have done away with the sleeve with no ill effects. Be aware that the piece of square tubing that is supposed to be on the front of the speedo cable came in 2 differant sizes, and I dont see that part in your photo. It may still be stuck in the long hollow tube that runs the full length of the plane. If it is stuck, it is a miserable job to get it out, involving cutting fabric and more. Get a light and a mirror and see if you can see the end of the long tube, and if there is still a piece in it. If you can recover that piece you should be able to take it to a good speedometer shop and have them make you up one. I dont know how they get the old cable out of the threaded rod and front piece and reswage them onto new cable, but it works. Whatever you do, dont tell them it is an airplane part or you will get more of those funny looks. Also, for all Cruisair people! put a little anti sieze on the square part at the front of the cable before you reinstall it. I went thru this last year and cussed for hours trying to get the cable out of the long tube. Good Luck___Grant.

I just looked at your photo of the broken part again and you may be in luck. I cant tell if the part in the first photo is squared off or not, but it should be. You are going to have to remove the threaded rod from the trim tab and horizontal and get the drawing of the whole thing from the club to get the proper overall length. Take the drawing and make a photo copy of it blacking out anything that says aviation on it. Take the parts to another speedo shop and tell them it is from your cousins 1939 Farmall tractor, or some such story and they probably wont give you the "get out of here look". It sometimes takes creativity to keep our old classics flying.___Grant.

The square part is there. It actually slides in and out the square sleeve inside the fuselage pretty easy. What is badly corroded and needs to be rebuilt is the attachment to the trim tab corkscrew. After looking at pieces, pictures, posts and talking to some people, I understand better the simplicity of building this part. I already found the places where I can find the wire and contacted the people that has the tools and know-how to build me one.

But HEY!!!, I am a computer geek! Anything beyond stacking shoe boxes on a shelf represents a serious project to me! I'll put it this way: my wife's toolbox (wife was born in a farm in Montana) is WAY bigger than my toolbox (she doesn't let me use hers) and she actually KNOWS what the tools are for and how to use them!

I'll get there...

Back when I had my Super Viking I did A LOT of work on it, but that was some 10 years ago... I remember taking the alternator out for repair and my 'A&P/AI' friend telling me: 'take it to this shop and tell them that it belongs to your uncle's 1974 Ford F150. They won't ask anything else'. The alternator got repaired no more questions asked... :)

Hello there:
I got the end that screws to the trim tab at the end of the speedomer cable rebuilt, but I can't find anyone that knows how to build the stupid llong square end of the 'flex-shaft'. Can someone here point me to a shop that has done this before and at least understand what I need to get done?
I'm having Bellanca withdrawals already... :(

This is how I fixed my trim, which I want to leave on the record for future victims to refer to:
I got the drawings from someone here which I can't remember, but THANKS! anyway.
Drawings can be found at:
http://kitepilot.com/N74375/trim/Trim_tab_controls_Bellanca_drawing.jpg

I had a metal fabrication company to machine the end that screws to the tab out a stainless steel tube.
I had a (the ONLY) speedometer shop in Chattanooga (and the guy is about to retire) to pluck the broken cable out of the square shaft, to install a new cable on it (he said it was a truck cable) and to crimp in the part that I had build from the other shop.

Total cost?
New machined piece -> 60 bucks.
New crimped speedometer cable -> 33 bucks.
The pleasure to see uncle's Joe antique tractor running again? -> Priceless...
:)
ET

Now I'm grounded too :)

So, 5 miles from landing and my trim cable breaks...
Cable didn't seize up, no problem at the tail end.. it just broke at the cabin end.
Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to repair once it's out..
what's the tribal advice for getting it out? Hope I don't have to pull all the headliner out....
14-19-3

SoCal, I have seen one repaired by putting a sleeve of the next size up tubing over the break and it had 4 small screws that went through the sleeve and broken part with self locking nuts. They were drilled at 90 degree angles to each other and the excess length cut off. If I remember correctly the sleeve was about 4 inches long. In your case, if you already have enough of the headliner open to see the break, I would pull the broken stub out and put a piece long enough to put a sleeve and shorten the long side to match. I dont know if it is even possible to pull the whole tube out without opening up the whole headliner. I have no idea what the feds would think of a sleeve repair. Best of Luck. _____Grant.

ya, I was thinking I'd just machine a piece that would go into where the broken stub is, and make a hole on the other end for the cable... set screw.. done.

Your drawing is very similar to what Volkswagon shops used to sell to fix a broken throttle cable. The dimensions are different but it should work fine. Is there any chance that the body that the handle goes through is mounted a little out of line and causing flexing. If it is out of line, maybe shimming would help. Your fix will probably last another 40 years. Grant.

Well, that didnt work :) couldn't get the cable into it, not flexible enough. Might work if I could figure out how to get the crank assy off but no...

Plan B:
http://imgur.com/a/KFXtx

Back