Hartzell HC12X20 hub replacement

crumast

Just spoke with my local prop shop to schedule the five-year inspection on my Hartzell HC12X20. They said that unless it's hanging on an experimental, Hartzell doesn't approve that hub for return to service on certified planes. The replacement is an HC-A2X20 hub.
Any insights here? A new one from Hartzell is $8000. I haven't located a used one, yet. I hope my prop man is right when he said the spinner setup on my 14-19 will fit the new hub.
If anyone can come up with some good news on this, I'd love to hear it.
Tom Robinson

Tom,
Google "Northwest Propeller" in Puyallup, WA.
This is the shop I deal with. Call and ask for Dick or Ken..and tell them I referred you to them on your Hartzell situation.
Are you still on active duty? I kinda miss it, but the time was right for me to get out.
Dan

Thanks Dan. Yeah, I'm still at it, but I'm fading fast. November 1, I bail out. I'm waiting to see if a lead here will pan out, concerning the hub. I'll probably be calling Northwest Prop this afternoon. Thanks again. Tom

For all interested parties, I need to post a correction. Looking at old paperwork on my prop, I find that my hub is a 12-V-20, not 12-X-20. According to Hartzell Tech Support, that is one of three acceptable replacements for the 12-X-20, and is supported by Hartzell. The other two are HC-D2V20-8 and HC-D2MV20-8. The latter eliminates the requirement for the 5yr./250 hr. inspection AD. It also costs an arm and a leg.
The model HC-A2X20, mentioned in my first post, is not a replacement for the HC-12X20.
Dan, I talked with Dick at Northwest Prop. Very helpful. After talking with him, it sounds like there's a lot of wiggle room on the legality of what hub can still be inspected. Much depends on who you are talking with.
Tom Robinson

Back