Headliner installation advice wanted

planebones

Greetings Bellancophyles: I am rebuilding 14-13-2 Sn 1461 with some local highschool kids as part of a "buildaplane" program. I have no Polish blueprint for headliner installation. The wood "bows" are installed. Is the material simply stretched between the edge bows? supported in center by something? Does anyone have any interior pictures of their plane they could e-mail me? What have you done for insulation in your planes.? What kind of seals do you have around pilot's slide down window to keep it from being scratched when opening & closing? thanks Ken McCune 307-699-0087

I installed my interior side panels first, stretching the vinyl over the bows and tacking it in place. Next I pulled the headliner tight over the bows and tacked it down on top of the bows (easier to do if you don't have the baggage compartment in place yet). There were no bows spanning the width of the headliner, so mine is a little baggy :? I hope sprayed-on water will shrink the wool headliner enough.
Next I installed 1/2-inch thick aluminum-backed black foam insulation on top of the headliner, taping it to the fuselage frame so it doesn't make the headliner sag any worse. I used this black foam throughout for the insulation (from Airtex).
As for seals around the pilot's window, find some thin automotive gray felt and glue it in place on the window frame. That's what was used originally AFAIK :D

Back