Hello All!

Farmdawg

Hello to all,

I am the new guy to the Club.

First off, Thank You! to the people who make this forum possible. It is a royal pain to maintain any type of forum these days.

A little about me, I was born in Columbus, GA joined the military at 17 and never look back and I retired as a Navy aircrewman after 24 years. My time in the Navy I crewed SH-3D, RD-53D, C-9Bs, and HH-60Hs. I retired in July of 06 and then went to work for one of the Class 1 Railroads for 11 years and finally decided that I'm not in the daycare business and resigned. I am now the A&P Mechanic for American Winds College of Aeronautics here in Akron Ohio. And I am following my dream.

As it would be as an A&P you start to meet people on the airfield and with me being the guy I am I'll talk to anybody. Especially about airplanes. Well, wouldn't you know it I met a Bellanca Crusiair owner. Mark Ohlinger, Super nice gentleman. After talking awhile about Bonzas I mention that I was looking for a wood and fabric project for the upcoming A&P school that we will be adding to the college in the near future. He said, "hell I'll give two". I said really? two of what? Two Bellanca Crusiairs. What the hell is a Bellanca Crusiair I said? Then that is what started the education process for me. I then started my research and educating myself with the help of Mark and my I.A Roy Maneely and I have fallen in love with the Bellanca story and the Crusiair. WOW, You just don't know what you don't know!

Mark has offered me two Crusiair in need of restoration 14-13-2 NC427 Ser:1364 and 14-13 NC176S Ser:1117. Parts of N74251 and N86888 and three sets of wings.

NC427 should be the one that will be restored as it is the most complete and still carries a current registration.

Would love to know if anyone here knows any history of any one of these beautiful aircraft. We have a lot of work to be done and we have the passion, the place and time.

Once again, Thank you for letting me joins ya'lls club and hope to see Ya'll soon.- Farm Dawg

Hello Mike... and welcome to our little club! You have come to the right place as we have a contingent of Crusair gurus with a lot of knowledge of the history of individual aircraft. I'm sure those with this knowledge will respond, but please be patient. There is a lot of valuable information in this forum and it is worthwhile to use the "search" feature to dig into the history here. Also, we like pictures so please show us what you have inside and out... Rob

Thank you, Sir.

Rainy day today so, I'm reading as much of the older post as time will let me. A LOT of information here. Awesome. Mark has handed over a very large box of records for N427 and I am in the process of going thru them. here is what I have found in the last few days.

Bellanca Crusiair 14-13 SER: 1364 was built as NC74251. Registration # changed sometime between late 1956 and 1957. Don't know why but, It did. I have all the 337's that add the changes to make a 14-13-2. Added were the Baggage compartment and aux fuel tank along with other airframe mods to the tail section. Recovered at least 5 times in its lifetime.

Nine different owners since new.
1. Uptown Chevrolet/ Burbank, CA / 12/1946 to 7/1949 NC74251
2. Royal C. Weller / Oxnard, CA / 7/1949 to 4/1954
3. Daniel A. Cooper / Los Angelos, CA / 4/1954 to 9/1962 Registration number change to NC427
4. DR. Ralph C. Glaze / Culver City, CA / 9/1962 to ?/1965 Ground looped in 1964 (The only FAA incident report recorded)
5. Pacific Piper Sales / Santa Monica, CA / 1965 to 3/1966
6. E.F Oberheim / Palo Verdes Est, CA / 3/1966 to 7/1991
7.Andrew J. Zacharias &
Wendy D. Chalk / Riverside, CA / 7/1991 to 11/1994
8. DR. Dennis M. Agin / Columbus, OH (WHAT?????) / 11/94 to 7/97 Last flight recorded was on 7/23/1997 ground looped and then stored by an insurance company. Later purchased by Mark Ohlinger for parts for his Crusiair 14-13.
9. Mark Ohlinger / Akron, OH

I have some pictures of people from previous owners during a restoration and engine change. Not sure if I can share them or not without their permission. If anyone knows anyone listed above I will be glad to share them offline as these very well may someone Dad or Granddad. Looks like a lot of good times. Love the Aircraft and love the history.

Enjoy!

Mike, I am in Tiffin Ohio and have 86802 serial 1156, I also have an extra parts plane with some parts I would be glad to help keep some one going, if you get close to running and need a prop have a Klip Tip DM 7651 that is extra for me now since I purchased a new McCaulley climb prop for ours. Glad to see another new member. 419-618-1025 Joe Bell Thanks

Thank You, Gentlemen.

The more I read the more I fall in love with this Aircraft. Hopefully this coming weekend we should start the move. Wings, Cabin, Engine and tons of other parts. We will be moving everything from one hanger to my empty one (LOL). Then try and get a good inventory of what we actually have then plan from there.

Once again Thank You.

Farmdawg!

Back