High Gross Weight Steel Gear Legs [tall legs] Avail

jpfli

Do You Need High Gross Weight Steel Gear Legs (p/n 4-2038)?

As you know ACA no longer carries this item and the new AL gear legs are an EXPENSIVE addition to an older airplane.

Ed Grabel, a new champion club member, has spoken with ACA about this and told me that Chad from ACA told him they will order the HGW steel gear legs IF there are a minimum of 5 pairs ordered. We have 3 people interested so far.

I am posting this here on Ed's behalf because he has not yet received his club member ID and password.

The HGW steel legs will be in the neighborhood of $1400.00 a leg. The HGW steel legs are a plug and play [3 bolts] replacement on the older airplanes. The metal spar 8KCAB benefits from a 150 lb gross weight increase due to the gear; 7 & 8 [non-scout] series airplanes gain an additional inch or so of prop clearance.

The ACA factory will give a $500.00 per leg trade-in allowance if your existing gear is sold to them. [The allowance is conditional on your gear legs still meeting specs.]

IF you are interested, please contact Ed: edgrabel@gmail.com AND call Chad in the parts department at the ACA factory: 262-534-6315.

John Palese
john@jpfli.com
ID# 6165

Hi Terry:

Then answer is it depends:

- IF you have a metal winged 8KCAB the normal category gross weight goes up from 1800 lb to 1950 lb.

Wood winged 8KCAB and wood or metal wing 7 series airplanes do not get the benefit of a gross weight increase from this gear; they do however get another inch of so of prop clearance as this gear is taller than the original gear.

It is my understanding this gear was developed because the metal wing 8KCAB did not pass the "drop test" for prop tip clearance at weights above 1800 lb, so this gear allows it to pass the drop test at 1950 lb. In addition to being slightly taller I believe this gear is also a bit "stiffer" although Jerry Jr. would have to verify that.

The gear will not fit on a Scout.

Hope I have answered your question.

Regards,
John

The HGW gear is not any sturdier actually.
Its taller. At the higher gross weight, the 7-1404 legs do not have the required ground clearance.

And hold back your excitement and price quoting until we figure out what we might do to make another batch. We are researching our options. Right now, our old method is a dead end. A few of the vendors are no longer in business. And that heat treat process is more typical to World War II era.

However, the more people that want to commit, the more likely it can happen.

I might be intrested if there is an STC to put these on a 7GCB that had oleo gear. They need replacement. Eric

Back