High Oil Pressure

NC86786

Hi, All!

I've had some oil leaks, which continue even after replacing all Franklin 150 gaskets. My oil pressure is about 50 psi; the manual says it should be 30-45 psi. Does any of you have experience with this? Is the oil pressure relief valve the likely culprit?

Thanks.

Mike
NC86786

A leak from the magneto, itself or from it's mounting flange? Oil pressure indications of 20-60psi are not going to cause any leaks. A gasket or oil seal can leak if it is 'bad' or perhaps, excessive blowby in the crankcase. We need more info. Dan

Mike,
About 17 years ago I put an overhaul 150 hp engine in my Cruisair which had really high oil pressure, I recall it was 70 psi or so, and the engine leaked oil out of the Prop seal, as well as a few other places ie. push rod seals. I had to drop the oil pressure. At the time I got advice from the club, and I trimmed a little off the pressure regulator spring. It took me 3 attempts as I didn't want to over do it. I was successful in the end and the prop seal leak stopped. I recall I ended up with an oil pressure of about 45psi.

Bernie

Back