High Time Pilots

Jonathan Baron

Okay, I know this is anything but Bellanca related, but I got bored this evening and came across this. No matter what you fly, people love P-51s. I first came across this a few years back. Lee Lauderback - the Stallion 51 guy - and the fellow who made the video flew in formation at Oshkosh, but I've never seen formation flying in WWII military aircraft quite like this. Just when you think you get it, just wait...OMG.

Some of you who've seen Band of Brothers on HBO will recognize a portion of the soundtrack, composed by the late Michael Kamen.

WARNING: You need a broadband connection, and the Quicktime plug-in to play it. Also, given that the author removed it from its original site, it's hosted on another, somewhat flaky one.

http://www.dodsworths.net/guest/Avi/HORSEHELMETCAM.mov

It's taken from camera mounted on the wingman's helmet, and thereby demonstrates the stark dependency and utter trust the wingman had for the leader.

Some type clubs have formation teams but I doubt we Triple Tail guys will be doing anything quite like this anytime soon :shock:

Jonathan

Back