hold over center springs

cglucas

Hey guys I finally got 9847B in for annual, I had previously posted my good luck going through the gear and hydraulics. I ordered the over center springs and it took a while to get them but they are here and beautiful. I tested how much pressure to get the gear arm to move upward with the old springs. They measured about seven pounds pressure to move it, after installing the new springs it took about thirty five pounds to move the arm.....Greg

CG, I replaced mine 4 years ago but didn't do any measuring. This is excellent info to have during crates Annual. When I get her jacked I will try your test. Thanks for the update. Lynn N9818B :D :D :)

When I annual my Bonanza we do a similar test on the main gear and the manul tells what the pressure is. I use a bathroom scale with a socket attached to the bottom of it and press until I get movement and read the scale. I use a certified scale to test the one I use..Greg

Thanks for the numbers. Now have ballpark figures as to where the pressure should be-will check it at next annual.

Greg

If I understand right you are testing what it takes to overcome the spring and get the trailing arms to fold?
With the naked eye it looks like one of my trailing links overcenters more than the other was trying to figure a way to test the pressure. This test should do it. :D :D

I put new springs in mine when I built up this new gear. Will be intested when I get home to see what they measure.

Was cleaning the storage area, the other day and decided to keep the old springs, they LOOK good. After reading
your post will definitly discard them so they don't get back on an aircarft.

This is the kind of valuable information that we need to share.

Thanks, Monty

Don't toss them yet. Somewhere in the posts is a list of the dimensions of the springs-they may be Bellanca-worthy yet.

I guess these are particular to Cruisemasters, as the topic doesn't seem familiar to me regarding my Cruisair?

When they went to hydraulic gear they used these springs to push the gear down in the event of pressure loss, and to let the gear down normally. If you have original Cruiseair gear the only way down with the gear is to crank....Greg

Back