How far do you go?????

mhackens

Looks like the weathers going to give us a break and I can go back to gluing and painting. I’m at a decision point that will probably make several day difference in the completion. I guess this is a “what would you do” note.

The last cover job was not the best. By doing some re-tapeing, filling, and a lot of sanding it’s starting to look better.

My problem; it has seaplane grommets. When I had the wings at the factory they said, “they had never seen another, but they must have done the job because the wings were in great shape”.

They weren’t installed properly in most cases and some have cracked around them. I have removed all of them from the ailerons as most would have needed work and am going to re-tape the bottoms, which should take care of them. The flaps for some reason look fairly good and can be used. Had to remove several from the wings because of being in damage area and poor installation.

I have used seaplane grommets on cubs. Never gave it a thought, but with this supposedly 160+ mph aircraft I would think they would do some bad thing to the air flow. (I think we talked about VG’s in the past)

I’m probably going to remove the remaining ones from the wings, wouldn’t look too good with combination of both. Also as stated above am bothered a little about what the few on the leading edge are doing to the airflow, but I’m really undecided about the flaps.

So what do you all think???

Get rid of them. All those acetate grommets will shrink and crack, eventually. I use a 25w. soldering rod to make drain holes in new cover-----no grommets. If you want grommets, use an aluminum washer covered by a 'dollar' patch. Dan

Monti, Stitts PolyFiber method uses no reinforcement if you go through two layers of fabric such as a tape over the covering. I used a 1/4 inch soldering iron to make my drain holes as sugguested in the Stitts manual. The whole crate has just two reinforcements installed on a single layer of fabric. Both on the tail of the rudder. I would look further but I'm frozen in ( Battle of Stalingrad). Hangar doors are froze as the earth has frozen up and locked them solid. Take Dan's advice get rid of them. What were they thinking installing them on the plane to begin with? Lynn the crate :D

THEIR GONE; it was more work than I anticipated, but well worth the effort. Now that there off and taped, it’s an unbelievable change in appearance. Almost had myself convinced that no one would notice if I left them on the flaps. So glad you guys nudged/pushed me along. :D

Till better paid, a much-obliged will have to do.

Back