How to Nearly Ruin a Great Fly-In

Jonathan Baron

As I'm sure is the case with most of you, your darling is not always your wife....er....I should put that differently. There are those big fly-ins you tell everyone about, and those you mention to only a very few, if anyone.

For Luscombes on the west coast, we have our BIG Columbia event, with the assorted normal things: aircraft judging, spot landing, lots of photos of everyone taken from behind at the major evening meal, and plenty of photos of disembodied flying machines (the airplane is there but the pilot is nowhere to be seen) sitting in stagnant repose. The diet is pancakes and chili - served at different times you hope, with perhaps a fly-out breakfast tossed in that maybe half the people go to. Nothing wrong with it because here is where you're likely to meet a lot of friends.

My favorite Luscombe fly-in though (this will come around to Bellancas, I promise) is held at Cottage Grove Oregon. Maybe six or eight of us show up. No hanging around at this event, as its centerpiece is the Poker Run. You know - fly to various destinations, and draw a card at each. What makes this one interesting is that some of the destinations render a GPS useless. The fly-in organizer calls the next field and everyone jumps into their Luscombes. Sometimes the destination has an identifer; sometimes it does not. Yep, guys get lost. They're never shy about it either on the radio. They get pretty pissed off. I call this going SBL: Surrounded by Lostness. The more you try and help, the more lost they become.

Cottage Grove is not far from Albany...Oregon. I need my Bellanca fixed up and ready to go in a week, at the most, to make Blakesburg (another fly-in with constant activity). I made this clear from the very day I had to land it wheels-in-the-wells at Albany. I asked repeatedly if this date would be met. Six weeks had passed, along with numerous assurances. "Well, let's ALL go to Albany and see how it's coming," the organizer suggested. So off we went.

This unintentionally became an unannounced inspection - a bad one. As folks saw the state of my 'Master they moved discretely away, as they did not want to discourage my coming eruption. I did not mention the subject again during the rest of the event...well....I did ask if I could have a Maverick missile instead of the regular two choices: the traditional flour bomb, or the bundle of actual flowers "bomb." And, for the first time in my life, I actually won a poker hand! They had to explain to me how, exactly, I'd won it, as I know nothing about card games.

Hey, I did get to Tillamook and got to see the QUITE LARGE Bellanca Aircruiser. Ah....gorgeous!

Blakesburg via Luscombe again....well....did that once, swore to never do it again, but who in blazes wants to take a commercial flight to anywhere anymore. No, I don't use hair gel :)

Jonathan

Lets go to Blakesbugh in a Luscome or Bellanca! I will be there Lord willin and the creek don't rise. Lynn N9818B :D

Well, it looks as though the final thing holding up repair of my 'Master may have been found. The reason I was so "disappointed" was the fact that everthing was put on hold due to an effort to find one seemingly unobtanium part, rather than finish everything except for the part. Much of this part of the puzzle has come together this week.

In this case it was an obscure accessory gear peculiar to O-435A models (the A meaning automotive accessories). During the manifluxing the gear that drives the generator - part # 60518 - showed some cracks in its teeth. I never drempt this one gear would be sooooooooo dreadfully difficult to find. I felt like a dummy because I've resisted the notion of buying a spare engine, which could have saved my backside in a situation such as this.

The fella is asking a small fortune for it, but it's either that or....well...you know. Not much time left before our rainy season begins.

BTW, if any of you have one and are willing to part with it for fewer than five hundred bucks, let me know. Otherwise I'm going to buy it along with express shipping so that I have at least a chance of making Blakesburg.

Lynn - yes, I can see those beers labeled with our names :)

Jonathan

Well, that glimpse of Shamalan's The Village, also known as my mechanic's shop, ultimately failed to finish my Bellanca in time for Blakesburg. I told them months ago when it had to be finished, Lynn found me the power pack they could not find, I bought the necessary clips and drawings from Bellanca, I hustled along the process of getting them their partial payments from a reluctant insurance company, spent ten hours on the road to pick up the unobtainium accessory case gear, plus another twelve driving it down to them, and - in the end - they acted as if time simply passed by....oh well.

This is behavior I cannot understand. They certainly paid attention to time when it came to making payroll (hence the urgent pleas for partial payments). It's no wonder. Well, now that I have no use for anything more than my Luscombe this year, it's my turn to lose track of time. The final, and substantial, payment has to go through me. Hope to heck I can put them under.

GA shops are under enormous pressure. Too many don't act like it, however. I understand having delays so that working airplanes can get fixed first. Makes sense. This shop, though, needs a stake through the heart, or whatever fills in for that organ in their case.

Alas....next year maybe.

Jonathan

In my post, post pondering I believe I was too harsh when referring to the shop working on my Cruisemaster. I do not wish them ill, nor am I so damned important as to try to put anyone out of business.

Life has not gone well for me this year. Thus, I put too much on attending ONE fly-in just to make the year seem right. For all of us to take to the air in venerable flying machines, scheduled service is a silly concept. Hence the "If you've got time to spare..." cliche.

Jonathan

Well, I was drinking beer alone at Blakesburg. The weather there was beautiful, but I beat the low system out late Fri afternoon. I did some serious Scud running back to McVille on Sunday. Jonathan, Russell was there and we talked about our Bellancas. I was the only low wing there so I guess I win an award. I don't see anything wrong with your evaluation of the shop that your plane is in- sounds like there treating you like ****! You should publish the name of these bad boys so we can avoid the tratment they have givin you. :evil: Lynn N9818b

Hey Lynn!

As he probably told you, Russell's starter on his SCW went kaput in Spokane. He managed to have one sent overnight from Oklahoma....how he managed to find one for a Warner so quickly remains a fortunate mystery.

How we both managed to have unfortunate dealings with We Lie At Aviation in Albany Oregon involved an odd twist. A fellow who owns one of the perhaps two Darts made by Monocoupe (think Stitts Playboy without the braces) recommended the shop. Then again he'd been a partner in the business.

Fundamentally it's a Mooney annual factory - 145 Mooney annuals per anum - and thus not the sort of place that attracts interesting airplanes. No offense meant to Mooney owners - they are wonderful, purpose built airplanes. No one would say they're terribly interesting. Al Mooney used to work for G.M. and the guy was gifted. I'm glad he never lived to see a Rocket conversion (stuff - somehow - a Continental TSIO 550 into a Mooney cowl). He, as G.M., worshipped at the altar of efficiency as the ultimate measure of the aircraft designer's art. The M20A, with its smooth wood wings was a masterpiece, getting an easy 150kts from 180hp. Owners let their wings rot outdoors and less efficient metal wings had to take their place. Forgive the digression. It's just that some folks say there is no substitute for cubic inches. There is, and it's called engineering talent. Anything else is just p___ing up a rope. I guess you can, but it takes an unimaginable amount of p___.

Reliant Aviation, however, also boasted expertise with antiques and classics. Had that claim never been made....you get the idea. What happended in Russell's case I'll leave to him to reveal or not. What happened to me was six months of "discovery."

It ultimately came down to one accessory gear, as I noted. They stopped work on *everything* until they could find it. Some shop in Florida eventually came forward. I stopped posting Wanted ads on Barnstormers long ago because they always turned up some shop or another (usually one guy actually) from Florida claiming to have what I was looking for. When I'd require an exchange that didn't require that I simply send money and wait for the part, I always got a torrent of insults and a phone slam. I'm sure there are countless reputable shops in Florida, and no doubt there are scammers in every state....except perhaps, say, South Dakota, but I informed Reliant of my experience and advised them to ask for photo verification via email. They didn't. The part was utterly wrong. I found the part, at last, and hand carried it to them. Too bad they let the whole thing sit while awaiting it. Bad luck, they said. Luck, of course, had nothing to do with it.

Damn it, Lynn. Sorry that this is not the year we meet. The wise among you know the pattern well. To the rest of you who don't happen to live near Dan Torrey, or Whitmer, or the other shops listed in the Newsletter - those of you who cannot perform your own annuals with an IA signoff at the end - get your inspection checklist together and hunt carefully, even when your next annual is many months away. Note the shops you happen by in your travels. Look for wood and fabric, odd engines on engine stands, and the smell of dope. Let us know.....phuleeeeze :)

Onward!

Jonathan

Back