I Guess It's All Been Said?

Jonathan Baron

Bellanca Brothers:

I can't imagine we've run of our conversation or questions. Rather there is an odd cycle that sometimes hits forums:

1. The only active topics are matters most people have no interest in, and nobody feels that what is interesting to them at the moment would be all that interesting to enough members.

2. Members make a pass once a day, see nothing new or interesting and thus...

3. Members make a pass once every few days, see nothing new or interesting and thus...

4. Members become less and less inclined to start anything new or drop by to see if something new is being discussed.

It doesn't matter whether you own a stone simple Luscombe or a complex collection of necessary parts and workings such as a Bellanca - something is ALWAYS going on. There is always SOMEBODY who has reached an impasse with SOMETHING. There is always someone who is being vexed by something but figure they can handle it eventually; no point in bringing it up.

What I've always found interesting...okay...frustrating is the tendency of people to say nothing unless they feel something important (whatever the heck important truly means) and newsworthy is going on, or that a question can wait for spring.

Okay, I'll start. The curse is upon me again. No sooner as my most generous and patient friend in the entire world was at last ready to test fly my 'Master, he discovered that it's annual expired at the end of December. If this were happening to someone else, it would be hilarious. Thus I come before you today seeking conversation, commiseration, and news from others: big news, small news, tiny news, or just chatter with no news whatsoever.

Somebody say something...even "oh shut up!" would do :mrgreen:

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan!
I really don't have anything to say except to offer my sympathy for your dire predicament. And, yes, I expect most of us who are rebuilding/restoring have frustrations and questions. The problem is I don't even know what to ask until I get to the point of being "stumped" by a situation. I do have a question that has been in the back of my mind. Somebody talked about the insulation that looks like bubble wrap with a metalic silver coating on one side of it. I believe they even said that it has an R15 rating. It doen't support flame and is rather inexpensive. Why couldn't a person use two layers of that instead to the expensive closed cell black foam? It would have an R30 value and may be even lighter than the closed cell foam. It certainly would be lighter than the blankets of fibreglass insulation that I removed from my bird.
Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary

I too am ready for my upholstery. I have just a few more wires to run and then put in the insulation. I have some insulation that is much better than what we removed but isn’t *Certified*. I guess that is the key word. The upholsters that I am using are aircraft certified. But I’m not going to have them sign off the job. Reason being, he is doing the sewing I am doing the installation, therefore I will be responsible for the job and will sign it off.
I have done a burn test on the insulation and it passed. The fabric is from Airtex and is certified material. But because we aren’t having them do the fabricating they can’t provide a yellow tag for the material. So am I legal, signing this aircraft off :?: :arrow: (jump in here guys)
Technically I think I am, to the point of being willing to putting my license on the line. There probably will never be a problem as long as I own the aircraft. BUT, when my kids put me in a home and sell it, what then :? Will some over zealous IA look for the yellow tags, call the FAA and a red tag show up on the throttle :cry:

If you get over toward the Black Hills, give me a call I would enjoy showing you our projects.

Monty
mhackens@gwtc.net

Somebody say something...even "oh shut up!" would do

Jonathan, I for one would never think of silencing your professional prose.
Granted it is sometimes intimidating posting knowing there is a professional looking on.

Therefore I looked up prose to make sure it fit what I was trying to convey.
Straight forward (I think that is correct)
Ordinary spoken or written language, not verse. (Generally ordinary spoken and at a
times outspoken. But can’t agree with the not verse.)
Tiresome and common place talk. (maybe I should have used another work, you are
never tiresome, and certainly not common place.

Thanks for keeping thing going;

I for one am guilty of having a look and merely passing by, althought it is with disappointment. Disappointment in nothing being up to read, and disappointment in not posting for not knowing just yet what is enjoyed and what is annoyed. This forum to me is a highlight in the day, something to look forward to outside of the grind. Not just the knowledge and help, but general conversation on a common interest. I don't want to be the latest 'new guy' telling tired stories or asking a bunch of questions over every issue that I come across in this adventure of plane ownership. This is my first plane and I am just so dang excited. As another 'new guy', I don't want to wear out my welcome, ya know..?

Since I am now here, I'll speak on my Sunday past. I completed my very first oil change, (light applause...). Not that big a deal, went pretty smooth. I know now that I want to buy a quick drain plug as soon as I can figure out which one. 'Spruce has them. The job had the potential to be a royal mess as it was. The drain on my O435C is between the mounts and near the firewall, not funnel friendly. I gave it a ponder, then went and grabbed a heavy duty plastic leaf bag. I duct taped it to the bottom of the engine and surrounding mounts, pulled the plug, and let her rip. Didn't spill or splash a drop anywhere. I know, oil in a plastic bag is not very environmentally friendly, but I intend on this being a one time operation. I'll dump the oil at the local recovery yard, and maybe find another use for the bag.

Second, my CHT probe wire is cooked. It has the ring that goes under the spark plug. I thought I could just order another, then I realized on 'Spruce that there are resistances and all sorts of differences. I'm going to go back and pull mine, then try to figure out who made the guage and go from there.

Jonathon, thanks again for lighting the fire. Best to you and your annual, my first is up in two months I think. Not sure if I were you at that time I would chuckle, cry, shake my head, go back inside and wonder what next, or just walk straight to the fridge for a beverage...

Jonathan, I would have thought that after all that has been apart and the work / maintenance performed on your tripple tailed charriot that it would have covered the scope and detail of an annual inspection and Russel would just sign the bottom line.

I am a member that just peeks in every once in awhile to see what's been going on in the Bellanca world and to keep tabs on people I know. I am a member of several type clubs and visit some more than others . I find that there are usually enough experts giving advice that you don't need to hear from me. I look at a 14-19 every day and with a little luck and a bigger push on the staff it will soon start to reassemble into one large piece.
On the other side of the shop, I have a C-140 in the fuselage fixture with the center section removed , repairing ground loop damage. In another corner of the shop I have a Luscombe with a new instrument panel being installed and soon to follow that , new windshield and then off to paint.
Yet in the center of the shop I have a C-140 with engine oil leaks that need plugging up. Out on the ramp is a Swift waiting for an oil change and a check / inspection for a sticking valve problem. Out on the tie down is a C-172 waiting for an annual inspection. In a hanger next door is a Pitts S2 that wandered off the short grass and into the tall grass and had an encounter with a wirey bush with thorns and now has a few dents in the lower left wing leading edge and several rips in the fabric. " When can you get to it Joe ?" ...

Not much time to sit and type on forums. But good to see you anyway, even if it is thru cyber space.

Hey Joe,

I saw the photos of that Luscombe panel - very nice work!

The Bellanca turned into a hellish mess once Russell decided to go through the entire hydraulic system. This was not due to anything YOU did. Rather it following yet another power pack failure. He decided it was time to go through every related thing and, as you can tell from other people here, sometimes it's like turning over a large, flat rock :shock:

Jonathan

The airtex people indicate that signing off the interior yourself is legal. I think it's on the list of nine things owners can do to their own planes. On older planes (are we CAR3??) you only have to show that it will not flash or propagate a flame (depending on when it was certified (someone fill us in??) So no yellow tag permitted-just indicate that you tested the fabric for flash or propagation in your installation note. Regarding insulation, the main thing I want is noise reduction and of course light weight-what have others used??? I will be doing interior work in the next year.

OK, it's been almost three weeks since the last post. No one has anything to say. I guess it's all been said. First of all, I have to agree with sillsavation1, in that I have more aviation interests other than Bellanca and so many hours to spend. What is the "N' of the 14-19 you are working on? I also think Peterdeon has the right idea on insulation and upholstry. Lets see, I have a Cessna 120, a Callair and a Rearwin that need attention. Over to the next guy. Maybe I'll take a break and work on the Studebaker brakes.

The snow finally melted enough I could fly off our strip to accomplish an overdue annual. I'm now about half way through the 18th annual I've helped accomplish on my 14-19-2. No surprises. Next on the agenda is to free some time for tour dates.

Back