I Pranged My Kite

NC86786

I had a hard landing and collapsed a gear at Plum Island Airport, Newburyport, Mass., on Monday, July 6. No injuries, except to my Cruisair. My McCauley prop's bent; the engine was at idle when the prop hit. I have plenty of parts, so it shouldn't be too long before the airplane is airworthy again.

Here's my question: how do I determine if there's been engine damage to the 150 Franklin? What needs to be measured, what are the tolerances, etc.?

Thanks.

You all can do what you fell comfortable with but let me tell you a short story. I had a cont 85 that I broke a wood prop when the tail came up a little to high ( another story) I had two APIA's and a couple other folks look at my crank. We ran out the flange checked end play pulled 2 front cylinders and all looked good. 3 months latter at 6500' 18 miles east of Panama City Florida and 14 miles north of Tyndale AF base My crank broke. I glided to a private field 12 miles east of Panama City. From that point on I have done a tear down if my prop hit anything. I was lucky at the time and I was flying Experimental . so I could do all the work myself. I have found a set of bearings and a few gaskets is a lot cheaper than flying commercial home getting my truck and trailer and driving out to retrieve the plane. :lol: :lol:

I have found that if a Franklin crankshaft is going to crack after a prop strike, it will show at the extreme rear of the shaft where there is a keyway for the main accessory drive gear. You will have to pull the shaft and magnaflux. Confer will Greg Lucas on this, as well.BTW.......don't junk you bearing set. They are hard to find,perhaps usable or repairable. Dan

The engine overhaul manual will give tolerances. If it was enough of an impact to bend the prop , a tear down inspection is a must. Not too long ago a customer had a crank break on a 165 Stinson . The logs showed it had a strike about 260 hours and 10 years earlier , and all that was done was a flange run out measurement.

Back