Ideas for Reattaching Loose Fuselage Insulation?

Mark B

The insulation on the walls of the fuselage under the instrument panel has come loose on my 1999 GCAA. The problem is made worse when I open the vents which now directs the air between the aluminum skin and the loose insulation which further peals the insulation loose and does little for getting cool air to the pilot. Does anyone have any experience replacing the insulation? It looks easy enough to pull the old stuff out but getting the new insulation secured in place looks to be a real trick because of the tubes and control cable that block easy access.
thanks
Mark

There is a layer of adhesive plastic on that stuff that is stuck to the aluminum. Did the plastic come off the Boot Cowl? or did the insulation delaminate from the adhesive?

If its the former, some spray adhesive and pressure should be enough to stick it back down.

If its the latter, the only way to really replace the foam is to undo most of the boot cowl. Not a daunting task here, but would be for most people.

Jerry:
The foam has come loose from the boot cowl and the vinyl exterior layer has come loose from the foam. It looks like the ram air from the vents was able to work the foam loose and then air got behind the foam it peeled loose all the way back.
Mark

Jerry:
Ignore my last post, I missunderstood your response. It looks like the foam has come loose from the adhesive plastic. The outer vinyl layer has also come loose from the foam. Sounds like it all need to be replaced. Do dealers has experience doing this?

Back