Illustrated parts or maintenance manual for 14-19-2

slackl

Looked over Club publications and have not found such an essential thing. Emailed a question to AAC, but do not hope for good.

Are there/where there any of them in existence ?
Just now I'm interested in cables/pulleys/springs routing for rudder, elevator and tail wheel. But surely I'll have more questions to ask.

Maybe someone on the forum have appropriate drawing and/or description ?
Is that area of 14-19-2 similar to pure 14-19 or even 14-13 ? Or maybe of the same as early Vikings ?

--
Regards,
Ivan Postnikov, 14-19-2 sn 4100

Ivan, there are no parts or service manuals for the -2. Bellanca has parts and service for the early Viking and they are not nearly as good as a Piper or Cessna manuals. In some respects this is good and bad. Good as you can do what you want, bad in that how was it done to begin with. I bought all I could from the club for the Viking and it helped. I also found that the early Cessna 180 was a -2 firewall forward so that manual helped. The guys on this forum are the real Guru's as they have been there and done that guy's who keep their ships flying. Just post the question and one of us fools will tell you what we went through. That is a nice looking airport with some pretty big hangar space. Lots of room to assemble your ship. The crate is down AOG for mag problem. I sent them to Aircraft Mag Svc in Montana for repair.I have not heard from them yet but saw some of their work on a Bonanza next to my hangar and I liked what I saw. Damn airplanes, they break when they fly, they break when they sit, your choice. Lynn the crate :D

Ivan, I cant help with the tailwheel rigging but I have information on the hydraulic rams for the main gear and a few other things. I am going to post them or get someone with more tech ability than I to post them for me, so that all 14-13 up to 14-19-2 owners can have it available. Something that was mentioned on another thread about your plane was about dry climate to a more humid climate. Wood wings (any wood part) will have some shrinkage when in a dry climate and will expand with more humidity. I dont know how long it takes for the wood to stabilize in the new climate, but it is important to not bolt things onto the wood too tightly when the humidity is going to rise. The expanding wood can have fibers cut since the wood expands and the steel bolts dont. Flap brackets, aileron brackets and even spar straps can be put on too snug and then cause damage as the wood expands. Just something to be aware of. I saw your plane the day of the accident and thought it was beautiful and well worth repairing. I hope you get years of good flying from it. ____Grant. P.S. Rob 58, I will call you tomorrow.

Thank you for the warning. I do understand the issue as I do also own wooden motorglider. Just because of humidity issue I will just wait a week or more more before final assembly and wing attachment.

Has everyone missed the fact that we have a non-typical airplane in a country with little general aviation and general aviation expertise?
I would suggest that the owner obtain FAA AC-43-13[most recent issue], Continental O-470 parts and O/H manual, propeller manual and a selection of the older EAA reprinted manuals on wood construction and steel tubing fabrication.
Dan

Dan Cullman said:
Has everyone missed the fact that we have a non-typical airplane in a country with little general aviation and general aviation expertise?
I would suggest that the owner obtain FAA AC-43-13[most recent issue], Continental O-470 parts and O/H manual, propeller manual and a selection of the older EAA reprinted manuals on wood construction and steel tubing fabrication.
Dan

Thank you, Dan.
I do have engine parts and o/h manual, as I do have experience with wood, tube and fabric tasks on an airplane.
I do also currently own a Scheibe SF25C motoglider (wood, tube, fabric) which was refreshed by my hands from basket-case.

AC-43.13 is also known to me - is is one of my favorite handbooks, laying on my table.

Slackl,
This is a good start. These airplanes can be a challenge to maintain here. A bit more difficult in Russia.
Dan

Ok, thank you all for all your comments and support.

Time for a pack of new questions.

1. Battery. Plane came with an empty battery box. Studied TCDS, which states Exide AC-78 battery with 5.5lbs ballast weight, supplemental FAA documents, permitting battery interchange. What is community choice for a battery ? May be something more powerful and a bit more heavy would be wise, keeping in mind of that dead additional ballast weight in the tail ?

2. Flaps rigging. Studied 14-19 manual, early Viking manual. Both of them just show a generic schematics of flap controls. No details on exact routing thru the pulley in the rear root part of the wing, no exact instructions on cable tension. Are there any details on that ?

3. Main landing gear legs. Assembled one and placed it on the wing. I do have some cable with a fork connector at the end, coming out of the leading edge just in front of the gear leg. What is the purpose of the cable and where it should be connected to ?
View attachment 1

4. Elevator controls. I was unable to find a turnbuckle that is used to control cable tension at a first glance. Of course I'll search more as it is ought to be. But maybe someone can point me to an exact location and this will save me some time.

Thank you all,
Ivan Postnikov

Ivan, get a Concord 35 XC battery mine is now 11 years old and still cranking. The gear cable helps retract the gear leg so that it is not extended as the gear folds into the wing. Make sure it has tension on it when the gear is extended and sitting on the ground. That assures it will do it's job during retraction. I'm sure you will have it on jacks and test this once the crate is together. I'm not sure what you are looking for in the flap pulley, it is a straight shot to the flap. I will check mine. PG 27 of the -2 Flightbook shows the control rigging. Not well I might add, typical Bellanca. Lynn the crate

Back