In-flight adjustable cowl flap

mr scout

I am contemplating developing a cable adjustable cowl flap for the 8GCBC. Unless someone already has one, any info would be great to have. Also would any one else want one?

I would like to have the option of cabin adjustment of the cowl flap, I have put some thought into how to do it. Do you have an idea?
Al

The Scout project I purchased last spring had a field approved modification to the stock cowl flap. I will have to review the 337,
but I believe it uses a Cessna 172 XP cowl flap control mechanism.
The lower part of the cowl and the cowl flap were destroyed, so I
have not seen or operated the adjustable cowl flap. Tim

Yes, Mr. Scout, I'd be interested in your efforts too. I have an 03 Scout. I had a 1980 Scout years ago that, after I sold it in 1988, the new owner purchased a legal adjustable cowl flap, so it's not a new modification. If you have an idea, or find an already-approved mod, let us know.

I had a 1980 Scout years ago that, after I sold it in 1988, the new owner purchased a legal adjustable cowl flap, so it's not a new modification.

ffskw2002 Do you still have contact with the new owner? It would be much easier to buy one than go through the whole STC process.

Mr. Scout, please remember, that has been almost 20 yrs. Up until a few years ago, the original buyer still had the plane, but when down in Kenai (Kenai Peninsula, here in AK) the other day, I learned the plane was sold and it's now if Fairbanks. You (or I) could run a registration check via:

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass*66548170!_h-www.landings.com/_landings/pages/search/search_nnr.html

and see if the current owner has any info?! The N# was N5064G

Is this any help? I'll keep my eyes open here in ANC; lots of Scouts here. Please keep me informed, OK?

I have the ground adjustable cowl flab on my 8KCAB, I would buy the cockpit adjustabe mod if available. Bill Becker

I thought I would let you know that Northwest Backcountry Aircraft in Boise is working on this adjustable project. They have it done already and are working on the STC as we speak. It is a way cool deal they have put together. I'm definitely planning on putting it on as soon as it is legal.

Joe, I researched Northwest Backcountry online and found two numbers. I called both repeatedly, hoping to seek info on their pending cabin adjustable cowl flap...no answer, no machine.

Can you post more info when you here they have it ready to use?

Steve with the 03 Scout

Back