In flight fire strategry

dleigh

:?: Not that I want to even consider such an event, I wonder if anyone has experience with or has thoughts about how best to address an in-flight fire. What might be the most likely cause; electrical, fuel other, and what would be the best fire surppression equipment, halogen, CO2, foam etc.

I have looked over the AOPA data base for fires in Bellancas and two things jump out at me. One the most likely cause of an accident in a Bellanca is fuel management ( mis-management) causing fuel starvation, causing the big fan to stop.

I've seen many cases about a post crash fire, but have not seen a report of in -flight fire. I know Bellanca's are not immune to such and I would like to try and have a plan in case such would happen. Any ideas about what to look for preflight to prevent such an event and what equipment is most likely to mitigate an in-flight event.

David

I flew in a Cruisair that had fuel fumes coming from under the seat whwere the pumps and valves are.....couldn't believe the pilot called flew that way. Three issues come to mind.
1. training the right seat passenger before take off in how to open the door (both latches in my Cruisair) , and make him demonstrate that he can do it.
2. Find a place where a good size firebottle can be mounted within the pilot's reach. Where have you-all mounted them? I am still looking for that place.
3. All firewall forward fuel lines and hoses should have fire-sleeve protection. And the fuel strainer should have a Stainless steel deflector shield in front of it to protect it from exhaust gasses if a tail pipe comes off or weld breaks. I had the muffler can crack out the tail pipe mount on a Franklin power Maule on floats in South America, and the exhaust was heating the fuel filter & it was giving me fuel pressure fluctuation and surging before I shut the engine down........Ken (A&P,IA)

One more item:

The Franklins use an automotive fuel pump, which has an auxilliary tap that is capped by a screw. After 60 years of vibration, this came loose for one member that we know of, resulting in a fuel leak right over the exhaust system! After a quick emergency landing, she found that the only thing that saved her bacon was the small aluminum shield underneath. Show of hands - how many of you don't have that in place... Wiser hands will also replace the fuel pump cap with a safety-wired insert.

Regards,

Ken and Robert,
Thanks for the heads up and good points. The only place I have found for the bottle is behind the right seat. I can reach it but dont know if I could land and actuate the fire bottle all at the same time.

I will take a very close look at the fuel lines under the seat.... tonight!

thanks

David

Back