Inspection cover departures

Niccolai Murphy

Has any one had any problem with inspection covers on the wing coming off in flight. I have a recently rebuilt 8KCAB and two inspection covers departed yesterday during inverted spins. These are the two finger four inch covers.

There are three types:
See two of them at http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/inspectplate.php
The domed type can easily be removed by hand - the springs can deform so they get loose, which is when you need the screws.
As it says there, the recessed type do not creep around so are better. Problem is that their springs are also stiffer so many people jam a screwdriver in to pry them open - the spring is easily deformed so gets loose.
Easy to fix - buy new ones or derivet, bend the springs back to the original position and re-assemble.
Third type - transparent ones from Aviat (am I allowed to mention them here?) - seem to work pretty well at bottom of the fin on a Pitts.
Carry a roll of 100 mph tape everywhere you go.

Thanks.
Have perused Aircraft Spruces Catalog and ordered stuff to match a local Decathlon. They used metal screws into a U type Tinnerman nut attached to the springs. So you pop the cover on and then drive the screws in. This probably does two things, it keeps the springs tight and stops the plate from migrating. This gentleman actually drills through the Mylar ring. I think it would be better to drill just to the edge of the hole.

I'd put the hole thru the middle of the inspection ring myself.

I like that 8KCAB website. Interesting that you've picked up the Australian report on G-LOC.

Back