Installing nav antenna

wpbarnar

:?: My 99 8KCAB is equipped with a single comm only radio. I am considering installing an additional nav/com radio. The second comm antenna should be an easy install in the metal belly pan. My question is adding the nav antenna. My concern is in difficulty of retrofitting the nav antenna in the tail. Anybody with experience out there? How difficult and any specifics to look out for? Any alternatives to traditional omni style antenna in tail. I talked to one avionics shop but did not get a warm and fuzzy after listening to their procedure. Barring finding a avionics shop I like with experience, I will do the work myself.

Thanks,

Bill

Look at the fabric where the antenna would be located. If it has the reinforcement ring in the fabric, then gently push and see if the mount is already there. If it is, it is as simple as cutting a small slot in the fabric mounting the antenna and covering the the holes back up. The grommets wont be in place so you will want to wrap the coax where it could rub. Then you glue on two fairings and your done. Its a couple hour project not the recover the airframe most shops want you to believe.

Thanks, I had suspected it was as you described, but needed confirmation before making the slit in the fabric.

Bill

Back