Interior Requirements

Monty,

The requirements that must be meet are the ones that were required by the regulations that the aircraft was certified to. The Cruise Air series were manufactured IAW CAR 4a. The 14-19 series were certified under CAR 3. The 17-30A, 17-31A, and the 17-31ATC were certifed under FAR part 23.
Dont let anyone tell you the older aircraft interiors have to be in compliance with FAR 23, this is just not correct. Vinyl, mohair, horse hair etc were used in older aircraft interiors.

Here is what CAR4a has to say about the passenger compartment.

CAR 4a PASSENGER AND BAGGAGE COMPARTMENTS
§ 4a.510 Passenger compartments. A suitable
ventilation system shall be provided which will
preclude the presence of fuel fumes and dangerous
traces of carbon monoxide in each passenger
compartment.
§ 4a.511 Passenger chairs. Seats or chairs for
passengers shall be securely fastened in place in both
open and closed airplanes, whether or not the safety
belt load is transmitted through the seat.

As you can see no mention about burn test requirements for an aircraft certifed under CAR4a. I have looked through all of CAR4a and have found nothing on interior burn requirements.

Here is CAR 3

CAR 3 Interior Regulations
§ 3.388 Fire precautions—(a) Cabin
interiors. Only materials which are flash-resistant
shall be used. In compartments where
smoking is to be permitted, the materials of the
cabin lining, floors, upholstery, and furnishings
shall be flame-resistant. Such compartments shall
be equipped with an adequate number of self-contained
ash trays. All other compartments
shall be placarded against smoking.

If smoking is not allowed in your CAR3 certified aircraft then you only have to meet flash resistant. Burning is acceptable as long as is does not burn violently when ignited.

This is the current definitions that the FAA has from Section 1

Flash resistant means not susceptible to burning violently when ignited.

Flame resistant means not susceptible to combustion to the point of propagating a flame, beyond safe limits, after the ignition source is removed.

For those aircraft certified IAW FAR 23 FAR 23.853 Passenger and crew compartment interiors is much more in depth.

Short story you only have to maintain the aircraft to the standards that it was certifed to.

Dan

I applied "INSPECTA-SHIELD" fire retardant to the headliner material and seat fabric and leathers of my Cruisair. available through Aircraft Spruce. I did some tests and it prevents sustained combustion on all of the insulation and other materrials I installed. It is, however corrosive and should not get on unprotected aluminum. Ken

Thanks Dan:

I’m sure that the insulation and materials I’m using are far superior to the original that I removed. The seats may have been recovered but the insulation, headliner and side panels were original. The carpets looked like they may have come from the local discount carpet store.

Along that line. About 22 years ago I built up a super cub to do some contracting. Back then, I don’t remember anyone making a fuss about upholstery. I had a carpet made at the local upholstery shop. Couple of years back I took this cub out of service, was doing some work with a grinder inside, got a pretty good fire going under the back seat. Had it out in a matter of minutes. The smoke that little smudge caused was so toxic, it made me sick just putting it out.

That’s probably the main reason, for using aircraft grade material in this job.

Monty

Just because it's not required doesn't mean you shouldn't.
I'm not some nanny do-gooder, but fires are horrible, and worth the effort to try to keep off yourself.
New fire resistant materials would be worth it for me, although I am drawn to the original side panel material...
But I would be willing to compromise originalness for safer.
I like the Hot Rodding term Restification, which is a nice combination of restoration and improvement, like upgrading your 55 Chevy to disc brakes. It just makes sense.

Back