Interpretation of the spar AD

jstro

For any A/P's that might be reading. The AD is clear that upon observing any cracks in the spar, the airplane is grounded until further investigation and necessary repairs are made. What if the crack is in the plywood doubler plate of the spar (located at the strut attachment), and not in the spruce. Would an A/P consider this a spar crack and therefore apply the AD to this observation, e.g., require a repair or replacement?

In my opinion, even though a crack in the doubler plate is not specifically mentioned in the AD or the SL406 r A, I would consider the doublers to be part of the spar. Since the inspection is to be done on the "entire length....", and It would be my opinion that the doublers are glued to the spar and are therefore part of the spar, they are subject to the same criteria.
Where is the crack/cracks on the doubler, and what direction do they run, do they go toward the bolt holes?
I'd sure like to see a picture.
Bill B

Thanks Bill, much appreciated. The crack on the doubler is about 0.5" from the top of the spar, running longitudinally the entire length of the doubler along the grain. So it doesn't go near any bolt holes, but like you said, it's probably still a no-go from the wording of the AD. Two other opinions I got today from other A/Ps said the same thing.

Back