IO-470F in 14-19-2

shipchief

Is it true that 14-19-2 models were made in 1959 with at least one being IO-470 equipped?
I have access to an IO-470, so the thought has crossed my mind....

It is certainly possible... according to the FAA records S/N 4104, N132F is registered with an "IO-470 series" engine. It is curious that the FAA record shows the airworthiness date as 6/26/1964 so it would probably take some investigation to figure out what the real story is. I don't know the owner or if he is a member of the forum, but the registration is still active. The main problem with such a conversion, as you probably know, is with the fuel system. The IO-470 has a fuel return system that would present some complex plumbing to the tanks, a new fuel valve and a boost pump. Of course it has been done before - N6RJ has the engine and there may be other conversions. Out of curiosity where did you find the spare IO-470... did it come out of a 14-19-3 or 3A?

There are 3, 14-19 Bellancas that I know of with IO-470s. N6RJ I think was the first one and the owner,(maybe not the original owner) told me that he didnt get the weight increase of a 14-19-2 and they took away the utility status for it. The next one (that I know of) was the late Drew Petersons plane that I think is still owned by a club member. I believe he took the whole FWF off of a 14-19-3A and bolted it up. No telling how he got it approved. The next one is a Canadian plane that they developed a multiple STC for, but at a very expensive price. From memory I think they used a Viking motor mount which is 4 or 5 inches longer than a -3 and put a 3 bladed prop. It also has the pointy Viking spinner on it. I would have thought it would be ugly with that, but I have seen photos and it really does look sleek. One of our members seriously looked into doing it, but changed his mind over price and the 50lbs of lead that was to go into the tail. That longer mount and 3 bladed prop must have made a serious envelope issue. If you google Bellanca photos you can find the bright yellow Cruisemaster and look carefully at the length of the nose and the odd spinner. Great looking plane. I dont know how difficult it would be to get approval for the increase in HP that is done to O-470s without any weight gain or, I have heard that there is no external change to the engine at all. I would look into that before spending huge amounts of time and money to make changes that might never get approved. I think (guess) that the increase in HP would have a better chance of approval. Just another of my 2 cents worth. _____Grant.

I happen to be looking at our flymart last night and noticed that the Drew Peterson IO-470 powered 14-19 is listed for sale. It would be so much easier (and less expensive) to buy that one , than building one up and getting approval from the God Complex in Oklahoma. Just my thoughts. _____Grant.

I have seen two of the four or five '59 -2s and they had the stock "K" engine that all the rest had.
Grant is correct to say it would be far easier and cheaper to buy a previously converted airplane.
Another option would be to convince Steve Knopp to build and approve another O-470-50 conversion.
That is 10 more HP. than the IO-470. That's another $25k option to add to your $25k airplane.....
Dan

My son Peter acquired an IO-470f, of unknown parentage. No log and no back story.
I just had an ugly dream...I gave my 14-19-2 a shot of steroids, and the next day when I opened the hangar.... It had turned into a Yak 18T !!! :roll:

Scott,
My neighbor has an 18T that he'd sell. You'd have to replace all the fabric....and your dreams can become TRUE!
Dan

N6RJ 14-19 has a normal utility category certificate that was issued after the conformity inspection in 1981. All of the flight testing with DER was done at the 14-19-2 weights. It does not have the 100lb increase that a -2 has. I can tell you the performance with the 260 hp is wonderful.

Dan

I have failed another memory test. I just ran across my notes on the Cruisemaster that I confused with 6RJ. N6563N was a straight 14-19, and was converted to a -2. They used an O-470R instead of the K model engine. That is the plane that the owner told me he lost the utility category and didnt get the extra 100 pounds when it was converted. I just looked the plane up and it still shows the O-435 and straight 14-19. I dont recognize the present owners name, so they may not be members of the club. Darn foggy memory anyway. _____Grant.

Back