It's That Time

shouldhunt

Well, all I'm off to Valdez next weekend to represent Citabria's in my 7GCBC in the STOL competion(did pretty good last year). Got my double puck brakes installed tonight, so hoping to cut my landing by a little bit, last year my best landing was 220 feet with landing about 35-40 feet past the line(heat from ashphalt makes you float), with both of my take off distances being 170 feet. I only had 38 hours on the motor, so I'm hoping that it will perform better this year. Also I'm hoping to draw a later slot(wind picks up later in the day) and its looking like it will be a cooler in temp this year(last year 51 with calm wind). My first landing was conservative to get one in the books and I blew my 2nd.
Considering the average cub pilot is about 80+ pounds lighter than I am(i lost 20 pounds for this year), and my plane is 1320 pounds, soI think we do well. It will also probably be on utube again this year. Next year I might even strip my plane like most of the cubs, alternator, starter, battery, interior, and minimal instruments, to get on closer thier level. Last year besides one husky and Paul Claus(great pilot), no other plane besides cubs had better distances.

I wish I had aluminum scout gear, tuned exhaust, K &N filter, fabric without 3 coats of paint, but will probably get maul elevator tape on my tail feathers. Currently running unshaved Gar aero's(29") tires, but will be picking up some lighter bush wheels this weekend, but won't have time to set up them and my new rims, rotors, and brakes before Valdez(FAA approval).

I probably got 60 emails and phone calls last year from citabria guys, so I promise I will try to do my best this year. I have a great IA who almost has his DER, and has helped many citabria people get there plane preforming better, so if you need any help he can get it done. Just drop me a line

Terry

man, this sounds very intense!! very interested in hearing more about the comp. and seeing a video of you!
keep us posted!!

Well, this year was a decent year, with hardly much wind, and my first taking off being conservative at 199(tailwheel touched) and landing in 244 feet. On my second takeoff I had a 161 take off and would of easily had a 175 foot landing but touched down about 8 inches short of the line, so was DQed. I only had a total of 7 hours this year with 3 on wheels and half of that was the trip to Valdez(got stuck on ski's, then in need of annual). next year I will be ready and dialed in. I did pick me up a new expensive set of 31" bush wheels and installed them and flew them for the first time tonite. Talk about a totally different feel, they absorb some of spring of the scout spring gear and at 8 pounds its sort of more of a mush feeling and cant wait to experiment with pressures. Landing with a 5 knot tail wind I was safely landing in about 300 feet(don't know why every was landing with the wind, but no big deal). After having my A&P/IA watching, he decided we was going to install a light weight interior this winter and trying into talking me into electric instead of vacuum gauges(can you say ouch on the wallet) to lose even more weight. I lost 7 pound a tire, switching from 29" Gar aero's to 31" ABW's. I now have it set up to switch back and forth.

I did not do good in the flower bombing cause my 9 year old daughter had to close her eyes during the flower bombing cause wind was so strong. Next year she said she needs goggles, lol.

Can tell you it was good feeling for people to say, when i saw a Citabria competing in the bush class I thought you where crazy and then after watching me perform, they said wow that was amazing. I wish I had the money to trick out a Scout with the bigger wings and then have lycon trick out a 180 horse.

All in all not to bad for a 1340 pound GCBC and a 230 pound pilot.

Terry

Terry: is this on youtube yet or did you get any pictures. Just got back from Moab from some backcountry strips (happy canyon, mineral canyon, angels pt, white wash sands, mexican mountain etc. )in my 7gcaa. I definitely need more hp and flaps.
Ray
View attachment 1

Terry,

I keep my 7ECA in Palmer. Maybe we should fly up the Knik River sometime and play on some gravel bars. Let me know if you're interested.

Cody

Cody sounds great, i hope to get out and do some scouting, and taking a few friends around this weekend to help on fuel. I need to get some pratice with my new bush wheels also. Next weekend going to see if my 250 foot goat strip is still covered in snow. Give me a call 317-0062. Also i cant find no 2010 you tube video, where my spot landing is much better than in 09(like 40 to 70 feets from mark, this year, I landed about half a plane in front of line and 8 inches behind it). A problem alot of the cubs had was techique. If you watch paul claus you just cant hang it on the prop, 1st you need to decent at the proper angle for the wind condition, then you need some power right before stall to slow rank of sink and the rest of the downward angle to remove some of the forward energy. If I was talented, i would be able to dump flaps at touchdown, to increase friction and remove more lift. Next year I hope to be 300 feet total take off and landing distance with 3 knot wind.

Terry

Back