Ken Volk's 14-19-3

JackFulford

Hi All,
I think all of you are familiar with Ken Volk and the contributions he made to this forum. I was shocked to see that his ex-wife listed his gorgeous plane for only $25K. I am going to the store to buy a few scratch-offs and try to win enough to buy it....if I only had some place to put it. :-(

BELLANCA DOWNER 14-19-3 • $25,000 • FOR SALE • Low-time Engine, Newer Prop, Excellent condition with new GPS and radio • Contact Laura Volk, Owner - located Argyle, TX USA • Telephone: 9403009261 . 9404640374 • Posted July 4, 2014

Jack

I agree. I have seen his plane and had many chats with him. The level of work he put into it is superior.Ken even had all 3 landing gear sent to AA for overhaul.
However.
There is one issue that will have to be dealt with some how. Ken always said he had problems with lateral stability on the runway due to the nosewheel and the solution to it had evaded him. Having a -3 myself we did a fair bit of comparison - mine is rock solid on the ground.
Ken finally modified the nosewheel by turning it 180 degrees and had some custom parts made to allow that. As I recall he had to make new steering rods, a new steering collar, and did something to allow retracting the nosewheel with the scissors (aka nutcracker) on the back of the strut instead of the front. To my knowledge, there were no approvals. It's unknown to me if the changes are reversable without just replacing everything back to original, or if the problem he had would reappear if it was put back to original. He wasnt worried what might happen if there was some incident occured and that was discovered. I think most guys would be.
Even with all that im mind, 25K is still a helluvadeal for a VFR -3. A solid IFR version is closer to 40K or more. (solid being more than a single NAVCOM with a glideslope - which many seem to think makes you good for anything :)

I think I will now have the lower the asking price of my cruisair to $1.75 and throw in 40 gallons of av gas. :mrgreen:

blimpy said:
I think I will now have the lower the asking price of my cruisair to $1.75 and throw in 40 gallons of av gas. :mrgreen:

If you bought it to be an investment, the lesson learned is priceless.
If you bought it because you like it, you've got a memory that money can't replace.

SoCal,
You said it well...best quote of the forum.
If we looked at the economics of what we do everyday little would get done.
Sometimes irrational expenditure leads to inexplicable joy.
Dan

like it says " 40 years on the bucket list"

a joy every time I fly it
glad to say I actually did it

investment... nah.

but I would like not to lose my shirt... :oops: :wink:

I also wish.. and it is just that.. to be able to pass on the torch,
without being made to felt that I am offering up a dead hedge hog well past it's prime.

But realistically, with 3 of the best restored cruisairs being offered for chump change today,
I may be doing just that. :twisted:

yup... no doubt about it... anybody who restores or maintains a bellanca is doing it
not just for themselves, but for the next 40 years of fliers and airplane lovers.

That is a real legacy.
Bravo !
:D :!:

Howdy everyone,

I just joined up and figured this would be the right place to introduce myself. I purchased Ken's Cruisemaster 260. I grew up on the Bar VK airstrip that he lived on and he was a friend of mine. My dad still resides out there as well as many close neighbors. I'm in the process now of paperwork and securing financing but I look forward to traveling with my wife in the aircraft he took such great care of. I most likely will be on this forum picking the brains of people who have more knowledge of the particular airframe than I do.

My flying background is both civilian and military. My civilian experience ranges from J-3's to jets, and I currently fly WC-130's for the Air Force Reserve's Hurricane Hunters.

Welcome ! You have purchased a GREAT aircraft. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! I have a 14-19-2 down at 52F. Where are you based?

Currently I live in Gulfport MS, but I'm seeking employment back in the DFW area. I know 52F, bought some block Cessna 150 time back at Northwest Regional in high school. My plan for the immediate future is to hanger the aircraft in my Dad's hanger on TX32 (Bar VK).

Trot, That is awesome! Congratulations on your new baby. I have a 14-19 and based at T31. Hope to meet you when you are settled in. My e-mail is jpperino24@gmail.com

Back