Landing gear kick-down springs

planebones

14-19-2 N9842B has been on its belly numerous times in its sordid history, so I am crefully going through the landing gear and systems. After careful lubrication, the gear will not freefall into down and overcenter on the jacks. No way it would ever lock with 70 mph breeze pushing on the tires. Has anyone had problems with the over-center (kickdown springs) being weak? any criteria for how much force they should make?
I plumbed in a 1.5" hydraulic guage into the gear down line so I can make dang sure the power pack is building and holding pressure on the gear on landing. thanks Ken

Ken,
I've got a 14-19. I don't have any numbers for you, but if you don't see where the kickdown springs have ever been replaced- then they're due. I purchased mine, many years ago, through Bellanca Aircraft, now Alexandria Aircraft LLC. That gear should be able to free fall. It would be a wise investment. Tom Robinson

I replaced the kickdown springs on my Cruisair when I owned it. They allowed the gear to free fall and LOCK at under 70 mph (one actually locked at 80). They gear had been rebuilt at least once while I had it (THANKS Adam Pontious). Seemed like after a few years, the springs kind of lost their oomph, so part of check list was pump the gear on final, since the gear was operated by a hand pump.

Thanks for the responses. I took my springs apart. They are as new on the inside and out, so have obviously been channged out sometime recently. Might fiddle with putting spacers behind the spring to give it more down force??????

Planebones, you might disconnect the hydraulic actuator from the struts and see just how free your gear is. After 60 years and a number of gear mishaps, things may not be lined up like they are supposed to be. It is real obvious in the hand cranked Cruisairs, but with hydraulics , the friction/binding might not be noticed in normal operation. With the hydraulics disconnected, it would also be a good idea to see if the springs extend to the correct length so that the struts are in line (I think they are supposed to be 1/16 or so , over center). I seem to remember that Dan C. posted the specs for the springs, but that may have been for the taxi springs. Let us know what you discover. Good Luck. ____Grant. P.S., I did this on my Cruisair (hand pump hydraulics) and the gear slammed down so hard it almost jumped off of the jacks. Scared the hell out of me, so be careful.

Back