Landing gear operation question

rogerr

Hi, all.

I have a question about the Cruisemaster landing gear. Although I don't expect to be able to get a Cruisemaster for a couple of years yet, I ordered the operating manuals for preparation and dreaming purposes. The before starting checklist in the 14-19-2 manual says to put the gear lever in neutral before starting the engine. On a car I could understand this, but it doesn't quite make sense to me for an airplane.

So, how does the landing gear operate? Is the lever kept in neutral unless you want the gear to move? Is it kept in the position you want the gear to remain in? What do you do when starting the airplane? I'm confused.

Thanks.
Roger

Roger, I have a '50 model 14-19 and later models may differ. The gear and flap handles are attached to the "Power-Pack". Both handles are spring-loaded to a center-off position. In that position, there is little or no pressure in the system. Pressure comes up when either handle is moved from its center position, and reaches a peak at the end of the gear or flap travel. Not certain of this, but I believe some aircraft have a latch which is used to retain the gear handle in the down position. Either mine was removed or it never had one. Tom.

Rodger, My 14-19-2 has a gear latch which keeps the gear lever in the neutral position. This is extra important because there is no squat switch to save your ass. If the gear lever is up and you have hyd. pressure the gear goes up ! It is just a matter of paying attention to what your doing before starting the engine. LYNN N9818B :lol:

OK, so if I understand it right, the gear will stay locked up or down with no pressure in the hydraulic system. To move it, you apply pressure by holding the switch either in the up or down direction until it's locked into the opposite position. That makes the operator's manual make a lot more sense!

Thanks!

Back