Landing Gear Replacement Parts

scottj33gm

Still working on the annual. Now I know why they call it an annual. It takes one year to complete, and then you get to start all over again. Not that I only have four hours on Sunday to work on it with my A&P.

So we are at the landing gear and have a few worn parts that are in need of replacement. Anyone have a source for the following 1947 14-13-2 original hand crank gear parts. Part numbers listed are from the 14-13-2 parts manual.

Bushing p/n 9831 qty 4
Bearing p/n F/K10A qty 4
Trunnion p/n 7623. (1 left and 1 right)
Universal link p/n 9838 qty 2
Retract Screw p/n 9832 qty 2 (1 left and 1 right)

I checked with Grant on the list and he has one universal that he is sending. I believe Univair sell the F/K10A bearings. But if someone can confirm or has another source, appreciate the info.

Thanks

Scott
33GM

Just go to the "Bellanca Store" parts department and pick them up.......
It looks like your mechanic, assistant, aide or....has said "Let's replace almost all the moving parts."
I hope he is familiar with the system and how it works.
This is not a close tolerance, high tech setup...Keep that in mind.
I assume you have all these parts out of your airplane ready for inspection and measurement.
Be very careful removing the bearings from housing p/n 9836. It is a delicate aluminum casting.

1. Bushing #9831 should never wear out unless the KP10 bearings seized and the bushing turned inside
the inner race. If this is the case, modify existing off the shelf bushings or make them from bushing
stock to be a push fit in the bearing.
2. KP10/KP10A/KSP10 series are basically all the same with minor differences in the "shield." Their list price
is somewhere north of $50. However, you can find them NIB, for half or less, on Ebay. Just because the
bearings are old they may or not be good. Spin them in your hand. If there is roughness or a "catch" in the motion, replace them.
3. The fit between the trunion and retract screw is "loose." When new, the play between the two parts was around .015. Any tighter and the system will bind. In service it is not uncommon to see .035 play.
I have never seen a retract screw wear out! It will always be the trunion, as it is bronze.
4. "U" joints do wear out. I'll bet not many got lubed at their dedicated fitting with a ball end oiler.
If yours are too sloppy, measure it and there should be an off the shelf replacement available.

These are not hard parts to find or make IF you need them. GM. Bellanca got all his hardware, sprockets, chain....everything from Boston Gear.....and that's a fact,Jack.
The trunion nuts are the hardest to find......Yours truly had several sets made years ago....and if yours
are not serviceable I might be able to help.
I hope all this is of assistance.
Dan

Dan, great assistance. Thank you. I'll let you know on the brass trunions. The universals are worn, I'll visit Boston Gear and visit one of their distributors. Still looking for that Bellanca Super store.
Scott

Remember, just 'cause Boston Gear supplied these items in 1946 they might not be available from them now. NOS bearings and "U" joints I see on Ebay all the time. The bearings are in production and easy to find. The universal....well you'll just have to measure and go shopping. Make sure your parts are unserviceable before getting too wrapped up.
Dan

Dan is the Man !

Be prepared to be reamed un-necessarily if your A&I doesn't work on bellancas often.

There is nothing more expensive than having a Cessna Mechanic "learn" or "help"
you during your annual or with almost any service.

I flew 350 miles each way to have Dan Torrey ( MARS ) do my annual and some minor gear repair was part of it.
He whipped through in less time than I can describe it.

I would gladly fly 3500 miles for such expertise,
and it would still be cheaper, safer, faster and more satisfactory.

the reduction in the number of sleepless nights alone is worth it.
and the price was truly right, and the learning on my end most valuable. :idea:

I have to agree with Larry. We see people with Vikings getting annuals from people who have no idea what they are doing and then they bring it back to Alexandria to fix it right after they have spent a small fortune for unnecessary repairs.

Right on Gary... both dans are the man !

texas, California, Minney-sota, all have good bellanca experts.

use 'em !

Thanks to all, and especially Grant J. Here's an update. Now that I have my weekends back, I'm able to get some work done on the bird. Disassembled RH and LH landing gear leadscrews and drive shaft through the rear spar. The rear bearing on the RH wing was stiff, rough and froze in some spots while turning. The remaining three are in good shape. New sealed bearing on the way from MSC. Bothe leadscrews look good. RH universal link worn bad, but will be able to use the one from Grant. RH and LH trunnion nuts worn, RH excessivly. I am very fortunate that I have access to a super machinist here in town that is also a pilot and understands the challenges of maintaining an older, no longer parts manufactured airlplane. He will be making two trunnion nuts. More later once I get the trunnion nuts back.

Scott

Scott,
If you are having trunion nuts made, Have your friend make a half dozen pairs. They will make good trading
stock for the future. Not everyone has access to L and R acme taps.
Dan

woo hoo... once he is set up to make those.. you betcha.. make plenty.

this is a pretty robust system.. but subject to plenty of stress and abuse.

Back