LED landing light rubbing on LW starter

aftCG

I thought I would pass along something we found which might save someone some trouble. Subject aircraft is an early 7ECA with an O-320-A2B.

The cowling is off my plane right now for annual. I had removed it and done an oil change in preparation for my mechanic to do all the heavy lifting. When he was looking everything over closely he noticed a shiny divot on the nose of the lightweight starter. Looking into my lower cowling he found where the low cooling fins on the back of my Whelen LED landing light have been rubbing on the starter (and it would appear the light is winning).

I'll post up a couple of pictures when I figure out how (I've been a bit hesitant to go through another photobucket experience).

Well hello aftCG
May I ask which lightweight starter you have installed? Also, were you able to fix the problem? I have the same engine on my 7GCBC and I am planning to install a Skytec XLT lightweight starter and a Whelen LED landing light at annual this July.
Thanks for the info!
Jim

I had to buy the 122 NL inline starter. I wasn't sure which model I had but just looked up the XLT and I think that's the one that rides the LED.
PM me your email address and I'll send you the pictures.

The 122 NL only weighs about six ounces more and has kick back protection, though he did have to make a new cable going from the starter to the firewall

You might want to make sure the engine mount torque is correct and the bushings don't need replacing. Either/both can cause the engine to sag a little...

Back