LED Landing Light

bdon661

Has anyone installed an LED landing light bulb in a Grimes retractable unit? If so, did you have to produce a bracket to hold the LED bulb in place? I borrowed a friend's PAR 46 LED bulb to see if it would fit in my Grimes housing and found it to be about 1" smaller in diameter than the circular bracket that holds the original bulb in place. To me, this means I need to produce a bracket or retainer that would hold the PAR 46 LED bulb in the Grimes unit.

Has anyone been down this road before? Thoughts? 337's?

Many Thanks,
Brad Donner
NC77605

The PAR 46 bulb is 5.75” the much more common PAR 36 is 4.5”.
It sounds like you have a PAR 36 bulb that would fit in the leading edge light.
Ralph

At the risk of sounding vain for replying to my own post....

Tom Leatherwood of Avlite Aviation sells a Grimes adapter that enables the installation of a PAR-46 bulb in a Grimes ST-250 landing light assembly. Because it's a Grimes part #, there is no requirement for a 337. The use of an LED bulb is covered by the STC accompanying the bulb.

FWIW, Tom Leatherwood is a very helpful and knowledgeable guy - a pleasure to deal with.

Brad Donner
NC77605

Is this being installed in a Grimes flip down landing light on a cruisair?
I installed an LED landing light into the original army surplus Grimes flip down landing light on my 46 cruisair with NO ADDITIONAL BRACKET.
It was a simple bulb swap. Took 10 minutes to install.
Looking for part number now.

Below is the link to the LED bulb I used. They have since received FAA PMA for the bulb if that matters to you. This was a direct fit for my Grimes Flip down light.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/whelenplus462l.php?clickkey=3836673

Back