LED Lighting?

bookmaker

Has anyone installed "non-approved" LED position lights on their Citabria and filed form 337 for field approval?

Hmm, that is a tough sell. Need engineering to prove coverage requirements are met. I installed these in my standard sockets:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/lednavlightsreplacement.php

This is based on the "standard electrical component" rule (bulb). Legality on this even might be sketchy, but I don't worry too much.

Since I posted the original message I got an e-mail from Chris at the LED company. He said the 7.5 watt LEDs for the wing tips are not bright enough at the 90 degree angle to meet FAA specs. Therefore, there is little chance of getting them approved. The 30 watt LED's are approved however.

There is also a posting on one of the other Bellanca threads about this.

I contacted Aircraft Spruce and they said they changed their comments about getting field approval.

I am considering the 30 watt set however.

Dale

You would have to mess with wiring, but the AEROLeds NSP are on the Type Certificate. However, they will run about $1k per plane. Excellent unit, super bright, super high quality construction.

We had to tweak the wing tips to get the visibility (tail light is gone, the Position Light is in the tip unit). Tip change depends on the model.

Look at the nav. strobe kit from A.S. FOR 266.00 .I think it's legal and functionally much better.
I 'm getting me some.

From the Aircraft Spruce catalog:

Question: Do these satisfy the anti-collision beacon requirement for night VFR?
Per the supplier: My strobe lights do not meet the requirements for anti-collision lights. They are only a replacement for the standard navigation or position lights, with the additional strobe feature for safety.

On the same site, someone posted that this did not require a logbook entry. Is this correct?

Based on a recent conversation with an FAA representative, if you wash a bug off the wing it requires a logbook entry. :roll:

My suggestion if you replace the bulbs is put it in the logbook then you don't have to worry about it. Helps the next poor sole figure out what you installed. Since it is just a bulb change, the owner/ operator can log it.

Robert, I am looking seriously at the set you noted. All it requires is to change the bulbs and replace the red and green lense with clear ones. No wiring changes required. I have no strobes nor an anti collision beacon on my Citabria, so the flashing nav lights would give me something for the big boy to aim at. :mrgreen:

Dale

Well, your floating in a grey area.
They should be PMA'd, then anyone can put them in. Without that, one person looking at them will think they are fine; the next guy might not think so.

The Nav / Position lights seem straight forward. I am unclear with the strobe. Does it still require the power supply? Because it acts like just a bulb change to me.

I know as an OEM, we would have to prove they meet the brightness and special view requirements in the Regs. This is USUALLY proved through a TSO being met.

There is no strobe, per se. The LED bulbs have micro processors built in that cause them to flash with the appropriate "signal". Basically, turn the light switch on once and they come on solid, flip the switch off, then back on and the lights "stobe" or actually flash in a certain pattern.

No power supplies, no additional wires, just change the bulbs and use clear covers rather than red/ green since the LEDs are colored. The tail is white of course.

They draw substantially less current than the original incandecent bulbs.

As for the brightness at angles, the specs are posted with the LED data.

At least that is what I read.

http://www.navstrobelighting.com/products/Aircraft-Wingtip-Navigation--Light-with-constant-%26-fast-Green-strobe%2C-30w%2C-1020-LM-CREE-LEDs.html

Dale

I ordered the set that says they meet TSO requirements and they should be here tomorrow. I'll install them this weekend and maybe I can post a video.

I will enter the change in the logbook.

Dale

I installed the LED's today. WOW! Those things are bright. From 20 feet or so, you can't look straight at them or they hurt your eyes. The solid setting works good as does the flashing setting.

I took some videos with my phone, now I need to see if I can get them on the computer.

Dale

check thread on Cruisair forum regarding LED bulbs for nav lights.

Brighter is always better !!!

The pics Robert posted are not the LED bulbs I commented on however.
Mine are generic replacements for auto 1157's dressed up to flash. See www.alibaba and then AC spruce !

I think you can accumulate the bugs scraped off the airplane, and fire them with shotgun blanks
when the clowns or big boys are intently aiming at you.. and that is all the satisfaction you will likely ever get.
No matter what you've spent money on.

If you fly at night, you damn well want lights that meet the specs !

If you don't .. then anything flashy that will get a response from a semi warm body ( read light sport pilot)
is probably good enough.

I carry the real nav lamps in the airplane. Say nothing in my log books. And if questioned on the ramp, I will
change back on the spot. I don't fly at night.

:mrgreen:

See recent comments on LED lamps in Cruisair thread.

My 7.5 watt bulbs are coming out... wrong pattern... especially from dead ahead !

also.. 1 bulb failed after only 10 hours !

Expensive Chinese Junk ! direct from Canada. :roll: :oops: :!:

I may or may not use these:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/lednavlightsreplacement.php?clickkey=12239

Technically, Grimes assemblies don't require a PMA'd bulb, and these seem to do fine in the coverage requirements as far as I can tell...

Back