Looking for cruisair right seat brakes

pdriscoll

I have a 14-13 and would like to install right seat brakes. The left seat has scott 4000 master cylinders with cleveland brakes (stc) on the wheels. Overall, left seat braking is okay, but not spectacular due to the high volume, low pressure scott 4000's. if i can find the right seat pedals and scott actuators 4000 master cylinders i would be happy. Better yet find a scott 4500 master cylinders, as they are better.

Oh boy...

Feel free to wait for the answer from the experts, but for all I know (and I have seen it in uncovered 14-13 fuselages) it is not possible (without a *BIG* engineering project) to install functional breaks on the right side. There is a bar that cross the fuselage wide-wise diagonally in front of the feet that renders the left brake in the right side useless (if not downright dangerous).

Next question is: why do you want breaks on the right side?
My answer was: for instruction.
But then I realized 2 things:
1.- No breaks in the right seat removes the possibility of a student flipping the aircraft over on landing .
2.- Flying from the right seat forces them to use power in the left hand which is the setting that they will find in most single-seater/tandem aircraft (if not all).

I gave up trying to install breaks in the right side of mine.
You will too... ;-)
But!
YMMV
ET

The reason for wanting brakes in the right seat is that i would like my son to fly it from the left seat since nearly all non-tandem aircraft are flown this way. I have over 14,000 hours (no accidents or incidents) in lots of different aircraft (light twins, light singles, heavy jets, military aircraft ect) and it just gives me a warm fuzzy to have full control of the aircraft in the event i need to take control of the aircraft. I realize the cruisair is not necessarily a trainer by any means, but the kid flys it just fine from the right seat and now is the time to get him in the left seat. I'm just a cautious kinda guy i guess. Too bad that tub is in the way. I will take a look at it and see what is possible. Thanks so much for the info.

I spent time and money trying to get right seat brakes for a Cruisair. Just let the boy learn to fly without brakes. He will be a better pilot for it. Let him transition to the left seat with another CFI that wont freak out. It will all work out.______Grant.

I learned to fly in Luscombe - Pilot Side Heel Brakes Only.

That is a far quicker squirrely-er ship than a Bellanca, and it worked out fine.

The trick is finding a REAL taildragger instructor.

And the first lesson ( with toe brakes) is keep your heels on the floor !

Back