Looking for some Bellanca experience

peterdeon

I have announced to everyone that I am looking for a Bellanca, and I think I have entered into a purchase agreement, but I thought that last October as well. Anyhow, if the deal goes through, I will be picking my Cruisemaster up and flying it home in late April. I have a bunch of time is Cruiseair and Cruisemasters (I owned each in the early 80's) but that was 23 years ago and I am a bit skittish about jumping in and flying 1800 miles in a plane that I am rusty in. I am hoping that there is a Cruisemaster (or Cruiseair) owner in Northern California Region that would let me sit right seat while he does a couple of touch and goes so I could get the feel for the approach. I will gladly fly over in my spam can for such an opportunity. (petersch@exwire.com)

hey peter!

contact kirk wilder at: kirkair@saber.net

kirk is the a/p mgr at boonville, ca. and is a current 14-19-3 owner. kirk previously had a 14-13-2 for many years. he's also a partner in a cub, has tons 'o tailwheel time and is an all around swell guy. :D

tell him vic says hi!

hope this helps!

Peter,
Another person is Bob Haley at Red Sky Aviation. He has a 14-19-2 located in Livermore Ca. The phone number is (925) 294-9703.
Good luck on your purchase.
Paul

I got to fly right seat with Bob Haley and it was a great confidence booster. I bought the Cruisemaster and with the help of the seller, tried getting it home. I owned a 14-19 in the early 80's and figured flying would be easy, but the landings were real messes followed by a little "four-wheeling" through the countryside of Logan Utah (No damage to the plane and the airport manager agreed not to charge me for getting mud on his runway in exchange for my not charging for mowing his lawn) I got a local "expert" to give me some dual time and it was soon obvious that no one could land this plane well (except the expert) as there was way to much slack in the steering. I left the plane there for a couple of weeks, and hopefully I will have it back home next week. Peter

Yes, it certainly sounds like a mechanical problem is indeed adding to your woes, Peter. Unless you do something reeeeely dumb, as I did once, and wheel it on in a crosswind, there is not an easier landing tailwheel aircraft than the Cruisemaster *if* it is mechanically sound. And that gear can get mighty loose, alas.

Jonathan

Peter, I have been fighting this problem intermittantly. First I found the tailwheel was going into full swival because the tailpost bushing was worn. I fixed that for about 100 hours. Second I now discovered that my crate didn't have tailwheel springs as somebody substituted turnbuckles for springs, What were they thinking? I installed new springs from AAC. I also found that the rudder cables were cut and nicropressed back together. I'm working on fixing that. The other thing you must check as Jonathan mentioned is the main gear. Get it on jacks and check for slop toe in and toe out. I also fly a A-1B Husky. My Cruisemaster is much easier to land. Again Jonathan hit it ,you will not find a sweeter landing tailwheel plane. Lynn N9818B :D :D

As Lynn, I too came from a different sort of taildragger. Nearly every flight hour I've ever logged has been in a Luscombe. Damned fine airplane! Although it has few maintenance issues, as opposed to our Italian designed and crafted masterpieces, it has one you dare not violate: gear allignment. Although more forgiving of poor allignment than a Luscombe, all conventional gear flying machines need properly alligned gear the way we need oxygen.

My 14-19 started out life in Alaska on skis. According to the logs, it had some "problems" with landings after those skis were removed in the spring. A spar splice was involved :cry:

Sorry to beat this point thoroughly to death but if an airplane has "issues" in this area you never will truly enjoy it.

Jonathan

Back