Looking for Tailwheel parts

dwmmg08

Anyone made copies of the hat bushing or the aluminum collar that the sicssors attaches to?

I tried posting this before, but it seems to have disappeare

Thanks, Glen

I have to replace mine too. You can still get the bronze bushing and pin/spring from Alexandria Aircraft. It appears that the same one is used on all the taildragger 14 series. I ordered one a few weeks ago and they are having some new ones made. I called this morning and Randy is checking on the order with his machinist.

Having replaced this once before (and screwing it up - thus the re-order) I recommend installing the bushing without the tailwheel shaft in place. There are three bolts that hold the bushing in place. One faces forward and I found it nearly impossible to access with the fabric in place. I had to cut the fabric enough to get a right-angle screwdriver in there.

I also found that the bolt holes in the new bushing didn't quite line up perfectly with the holes in the aluminum housing. Tried different positions but nothing worked. I got them close and tightened down the bolts as best I could. I found if I tightened too much, it distorted the bushing enough to inhibit free swivelling of the tailwheel shaft so I had to back off a bit. If this proves to be the case again, I plan to mark the actual locations and then drill and tap new holes in the new bushing.

Also, I had to clean up the shaft with emery cloth to get it to slide into the new bushing.

Good luck,

Tim

Alexandria aircraft.
320-763-4088

Original Part Numbers:

Hat bushing - 8316-12
Plunger lock pin - 15085-3
Spring - 15085-4
Aluminum Housing - 15091-30

I have been through this. The bushing holes must line up with the bolt holes. My new bushing that I bought from AA had the holes but would not align with the bolts. I had to elongate the bushing holes so the bolts would bottom and lock the bushing in place. The bolts at bottom do not penatrate past the bushing thus allowing the tail whelel to swival freely. To do this ,install the bushing without the tail wheel and you can then look up into the tailwheel post and check your install. I discovered also on my crate that Weber put new tail wheel cables on and eliminated the tail wheel springs (internal near tail post). This prevented my tail wheel from kicking out of the steering collar. I have to physically unlock the steering collar by compressing the kickout spring with a screwdriver. I will live with this till I recover because I had a hell of a time controlling the crate when the tailwheel became unlocked full swival it was a handful thus the new bushing and the parade to fix it. AA had great drawing that I obtained from Carroll. LynnN9818B :p

Back