Lord Mounts

N8506R

The Lord mounts on my 14-19-3a are looking a little old. They're J7518-4. A/C Spruce is listing them for more than $300! Anyone else got a better idea?

I'm getting ready to order new mounts for my 14-19-2. After an extensive search the cheapest I can find is $127.95 each for the J3804-14 at Chief and 164.95 apiece for the -15 at Spruce. For some reason all four are 164.95 at Spruce, but Chief wants 227.95 for the -15 and are cheaper on the -14.

Anyone got a better deal???? This blue bomb is on it's wheels and ready for the engine. :D :D

Right after I figure out why I don't have gear lights on the left side that is. After completely redoing the wiring and installing a modern circuit breaker panel, can't believe this is the only problem so far.

Another small miracle is the fact that the only thing I found missing so far are the under wing; wing to fuselage fairings. Lynn sent me some exhalent drawings and pictures to fabricate from, but would probably buy some undamaged ones if someone had them laying around the hangar.

Good Lord willing I'll be over Yellowstone on the way to see the grand kids about 9:00 in the morn. Looking forward to that beautiful flight after wrenching all winter. The only down side is still flying the truck, while the sports car sets in the hangar unfinished. :wink:

Have a enjoyable, safe 4th,

Appreciate the offer Brian. I should be able to make some from Lynn's pictures and I will try to take a look at N9832B while I am in Caldwell.

If those Italian's figured it out this old Swede should be able to. :lol:

I am out on the road and I do not have the email on this computer from an engineer from Lord. When I return home I will retrieve it from my home system. I had asked the difference between the -4 and the -2 mount. I will post the info. The -2, if I remember the dash number correctly, is significantly cheaper.

Dan

Steve:

Ok guys, just got home from a 4 day, here is what I discussed with a Lord Engineer regarding the difference between the -2 and the -4 mounts for a continental engine, disclaimer, this is not FAA approved data, but is from the manufacturer. The -2 unit is used on the 520 in the Viking. Also, this info is not for the O-470 in the 14-19-2, my conversation was about the 14-19-3, 3A and the Viking with the IO520.

Date: 01/09/08 10:06:04
To: Dan & Lori Schultz
Subject: RE: J-7518-4, J-7518-2 mounts

Good morning Dan,

Dimensionally, the J-7518-2 and the J-7518-4 are identical, with the exception of the rib in the elastomer section of the sandwiches used in the -4. The difference is primarily the compression springrate.

The J-7518-2 compression springrate is approximately 5300 lbs/inch while the J-7518-4 compression springrate is approximately 8000 lbs/inch. Both kits are used in the same semi-focalized arrangement on the aircraft, with the same offset for torque. The average weight of the Continental O-470 engine is about 430 lbs, so each mount is supporting approximately 108 lbs.

108 lbs of weight on the J-7518-4 will deflect the mount approximately 0.014 inches. 108 lbs on the J-7518-2 will deflect the mount about 0.020 inches. Over time, the sag for the J-7518-2 kit will probably exceed the -4 kit, but vibration isolation will be improved which is probably why Bellanca went with the J-7518-2 kits.

I see no performance reasons not to recommend using the J-7518-2 in place of the J-7518-4 and you may, in fact, see an improvement in vibration isolation. Let me know if you need anything else.

Very best regards,

Paul J. Snyder
Aerospace and Defense Technical Support
LORD Corporation
PH (814)868-5424 ext 6611
FAX (814)860-3535
http://www.lord.com

Back