low generator voltage

bobgoodman

my generator works ok, but the voltage is a little on the low side. it runs about 12.5 volts, and i think it would keep my battery at a higher level of charge if it were 13 or 14 volts. I read the manual on the delco regulator and identified the screw you need to turn to increase the voltage but i have no idea how much to turn it.

i know what i need to do is turn it a little bit and see what happens, but i was wondering if anyone else has ever been through this and about how much did you turn your screw? i turned it a bit and need to run it but i have to move an airplane to get it out of the hangar and i ran out of daylight yesterday.

i keep looking at that practically new alternator sitting on the shelf and thinking i'm nuts not to just install it. but if i can up my voltage by turning a screw, i'm thinking that's what i should do. no telling what i will get into making the alternator switch, and i hope to have a trip coming up next week, and i hate to make a major change without time to fly it to make sure everything is ok.

bobg

ps, the airplane i have to move is a j3 cub, belonging to a close friend who lets me fly it whenever i want. yesterday i flew it around for an hour and did a bunch of landings. what a great little plane. no wonder it's so popular. this one has a stroked 85 so it's very similar in performance to the old 108hp super cub, with the lyc o-235, my dad had for years. quite peppy with one on board and minimal gas. i flew it over to a neighbor's strip which is very short and hilly, and it was just made for such conditions. he has a carbon cub with tundra tires so he doesn't need much room. slipped it in over some trees and didn't even use 500 ft. getting real comfortable in it. flew the cruisemaster around the pattern twice too (at the homee strip, not the short one). the weather here is going to be bad for a while so i got my flying fix in while i could.

BG, connect a voltmeter to the battery. Run the plane and turn the screw until you see 14 volts. Better yet install a Zeftronics generator controller. It automatically adjusts for voltage and load. Lynn the crate

that's what i'll do. maybe tomorrow. we had storms today, couple of tornados a few miles south of here. and over into georgia. lots of damage. all well here.

bob

Bob,
If you are going to stick with the Generator, I would swap in a Zeftronics in the long run. Takes all the fidling out of the equations.
Hoewever, I think the Zeftronics are a couple hundred bucks now, so you are getting into Alternator conversion territory.

As for the conversion, I really like my -2 with the alternator conversion, but I could not complete it without swinging the motor forward.

-Adam

We always have a Zeftronics unit as a raffle prize at the West Coast Fly-in... why don't you just plan on a trip to California in June?

P.S. What is the model number of the correct Zeftronics unit... I might have an extra one that I bought from Tom James.

Back