Low Oil Pressure

blanducci

Just started the 165 in my 14-13-2 for the first time since a fresh top overhaul. Purged all the oil lines and got about 12 psi by hand propping with the plugs out. Ran the engine for about 30 sec at 1000 RPM and briefly (less than 5 sec) at almost 1500 RPM and shut down because I only saw 25psi on the oil. I've only flown this plane for a total of three hours and that was almost three years ago. I don't remember what pressures i used to see. My starting checklist says 45 psi - which seems to have come from the Cruisair poh. The 165 manual indicates 10-20 psi (min) at idle. Should I expect higher pressure? My plane has a Fram filter on the firewall plumbed from the 1/8" port at the top of the oil bypass plate. This line has the oil pressure sensor in it The output of the filter runs to the oil sump. Starting temps were about 56F and oil is Phillips 20W50.

Curious what others see at various RPM - at start and later when oil temps are closer to a normal operating range.

The oil pressure sensor or line to the gauge needs to be before the restrictor fitting for the bypass oil filter, or you will just be measuring pressure drop across the filter not oil pressure to the engine bearings.
It is a good idea to check the gauge as well. The gauge on mine reads about 10psi lower than a known good gauge.

The sensor is new (though agree that doesn't mean it's good!) from EI - part of a CGR-30P installation. It is plumbed off a tee in the line between the engine and the filter input with restrictor right at the filter.

Removed the filter and restrictor - I now see 35psi spinning the prop by hand. So the "leak" through the restrictor and filter back to the sump caused the low reading. I may opt to install a filter, but it'll be the Airwolf designed to be in series with the cooler.

Back