Low Oil PSI

jwbanks

I have an 0235-C1 in my 76' 7ECA. At anything over 160 degrees when at low power setting (landing) the oil psi drops into low yellow. Add a little power like 1200 rpm and it's in the high yellow.In normal flight it stays at 85 psi. Is this typical with the 0235? Also has anyone seen a legal way to install an oil cooler onto this engine. My A&P says if it did not come with one it's difficult to put one on.

Jeff

Jeff,

I have a 74 7ECA and added an oil cooler. You can buy the complete kit from ACA, which will include the new baffle, cooler and lines. It is legal as their new ones have a cooler.
I have an Air Wolf remote oil filter installed and used the existing lines, just rerouted them. I purchased the new baffle from ACA and an oil cooler elsewhere(don't remember offhand where) and used the existing lines. My AI completed a 337 and a log book sign off. I now have no more problems with high oil temperature. I cover it in the winter with duck tape(aviation grade of course).

Ron

Thanks Ron, I have the airwolfe filter system also. I will look into this. Got any pictures of your plane?

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't have any pictures of the cooler installation, there are pictures of the installation in the 7ECA parts manual. My AW filter was originally mounted on the left side of the firewall even with the top of the bottom cowling(I did not want it there but that is where the A&P insisted it had to go). When we installed the cooler ICW the ACA drawings we moved the filter to the bottom center of the firewall where it should have been all along(we can now change the filter without removing the bottom cowling) and made room for the cooler in the left hand baffle. The original filter oil lines were the correct length to include the cooler without having to buy new.
Talk with ACA parts, they were a big help.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I will contact ACA. On a second note. Have you ever had trouble with the front right exhaust pipe rubbing on the cowling? I was told by ACA that they have a new mold for the bottom cowl because of this. I had to do a slight mod. to the radius of the pipe so it would clear. I even install new style lord mounts using ACA drawings.

jb

Ron,

Did your A&P run the new oil lines from the AW housing to the filter and then to the cooler? There seems to be a little discussion with my A&P on the routing of the lines. Have had 40 hours of cool temps without trouble with the lines going from my A/W housing to the filer to the cooler to the A/W housing. I now see that Reiff heaters has an STC to add a heat strip to the coolers??

Jeff

Jeff,

As I recall, the lines run from the AW housing on the back of the engine- to the cooler on the top left hand engine baffle- to the filter which is located at the bottom center of the firewall- back to the housing. If I recall the discussion when we were installing the cooler, we ran the lines that way because of the length of the existing lines they fit better and I think they would have crossed if we ran to the filter first. There was a discussion as to which component it would be better to route the oil through first and our AI came to the conclusion that it wouldn't matter.
We have the Reiff engine heater installed with the bands around the cylinder bases and strip on the oil sump. I am not familiar with the strip on the cooler, sounds weird. We do cover the cooler in the winter with"aviation approved" duck tape.

Ron

Thanks Ron, The oil cooler heat strip is new. My lines run similar, I go to the filter first. The drawings from ACA show the lines coming from the engine back case. Our 0235-C1 does not have ports on the back case. There is an adaptor from ADC that corrects the problem of no additional ports. I might get one.

Jeff

Back