Lower firewall cowl

Alain1

Hi Guys, I'm looking for that little cowl piece running across on the bottom of the firewall on my 1947 14-13-2. This one with the battery box drain and crankcase vent tube running thru. I am stripping the whole nose of my bird and all metal pieces to repaint them and this piece is in really beated and in poor condition. I can send picture if needed.

Alain.

I think I might have one somewhere in my hangar (the one that is about 4 or 5 inches wide and about three or four feet wide and curved in many different ways? Mine is not pristine, but I'll look tomorrow and try and get pix. Peter

Hi Alain, the ones that I found were not any good. I am still looking for the gear downstop._____Grant.

This part is called an "inner cowling." They take a beating, especially during a gear up landing. They can be made with mallets and a shotbag- finished up with a shrinker, a planishing hammer and a 'wheel..........for those that have these tools. I do, but I'm not making them for all of you. Kent White might. He's in the business. Dan

Good luck in finding one of these inner cowlings that isn't beat. Larry D'atillio had a couple good ones way back when, but he sold the last one a few years ago. My original inner cowling was damaged in a crash in 1954, but was serviceable enough to rework.
Gary

I sent a photo through my phone and if that succeeds, I can send more in the next day. You can have it as I don't see any other use for it. I won't send it if you think it is junk. It is aluminum, but someone has lined the entire inside with fiberglass. I was told it was for a cruisair when I was given this in a box of bellanca junk which included gear struts that I am sure are for a cruiseair (and in poor shape) Let me know if it is useful Peter S

To complete this thread, Alain got my lower cowl and finds it better than his. If we all work together we can keep them flying

Sorry, it's been a while that I could come on the forum with the time I have these days, Yes as Peter mentionned, he send me one that is in pretty good shape, just little work to put it straight. Thanks again Peter.

The bird got a facelift, all doped fabric was great and shinny but metal and fiber glass very poor paint condition so I stripped every thing, Inspection panels, boot cowl, nose cowl, nose bowl, both doors, name it. Fixed, primed and repainted with epoxy primer and nice red urtehane matching perfectly the Pontiac Red dope. New Stainless steel philips camloc, new emblem from Randy that I am buffing to nice mirror finish, and will get a nice pin up on each side in the front, this one still to be choosen but will go with the era of the airplane. I am in the last miles before putting together. It will be on my Flickr.com page

Alain.

Back