Lyc. 0-360 conversion

planebones

Dear Bellancophiles: Could some of youze guys with 0-360 conversions on 14-13-2 please contact me or answer the following questions.

1. What paperwork do you have.? (FAA can do a field approval if other aircraft have been approved and you have copies of that documentation the weight of said documentation must exceed 30% of aircraft useful load.)

2. what engine mount does it use?
3. What cowling mods does it use?
4. what exhaust and intake systems does it use?
5. Do all of yours cover contant speed props, or can a FP prop be used.? What props do you have?

I found a fixed pitch 0-360 engine (maybe could be converted to contant speed) if it all turns out to be too rich for me I will pass it on.

thanks Ken.........307-699-0087 mcbears@tetontel.com

I am assuming you are talking about a Lyc. I have one. My 337 is 2 paragraphs long and says Basicly Remove Franklyn 165 modified dynofocal ring to fit Franklyn mount. Removed a Lyc 0-360 with prop and all accesories from a comanche Installed in 14-13-2 with camanche nosebowl and modified cowling. All weights the same. This was done in 1976. The are acouple that have a 1 time STC (I know,But that is what they stamped on the paperwork) And there are a couple out west that have full injected engines. They look real nice without the intake up front. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They must perform real good with the 0-360 injected. what is it 200 h.p.?
Must really hit 160 m.p.h. + and good climb!!!

A.

I talked to my friends at Salt Lake FSDO today, and they say their oversight manual (8300-10) prohibits them from approving engine changes on standard category aircraft. All such modification must be approved by the FAA engineering offices, which require "engineering data" that the aircraft owner must obtain (pay for) from a private certified aeronautical engineer.

In other words, when it comes to installing a different engine in an airplane, a copy of someone else's field approval or one time STC isn't enough. If any one knows of anyone who had drawings, engineering data ( strength calculations on engine mounts, etc.) for a Lycoming 0-360 installation in a Cruisair, please let me know....or a delelict plane or paperwork pertaining to a plane that had the 0-360 installed. Otherwise this modification is infeasable. Ken

How long ago did people do this conversion? There was a date somewhere around 1955 were before that all FAA inspectors were engineers and all 337s that they signed off were considered as engineering data so if you can find one that early it can be used as engineering data.

Kevin

Wullll the 0-360 Lyc. didn't appear on the scene until 1959 or so with the Comanche 180 and the Mooney M-20A, so I doubt there were any before the early 60's........Ken

The 2 with full injection have an STC but I am not sure he will sell it because of liability. I don't remember his name but the STC was so large he had to carry it in the trunk of the car. I know some of the folks on the west coast know him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a Cruisair on Barnstormers for sale that has the O-360 conversion yet retains the original cowl. It looks quite nice :)

Jonathan

I talked to the fellow who has his 0-360 Cruisair for sale, he said the disadvantages of the 0-360 are very expensive overhauls on the engine and prop, and more work to convert it than one might think. If anyone has any contact info on the above mentioned 0-360 powered Cruisairs in the West Coast please let me know....Thanks Ken

According to the FAA John Armino (Linden CA, and Leroy L. Phillips (Ridgcrest, CA) have Lycoming I0-360's in their Cruisairs. I can't find them in the white pages anywhere. If anyone knows these guys I would appreciate a current number or address to ask them about using their paperwork. Thanks Ken

Back