Main Gear Inner Strut Stowaway Washer

scottj

Greetings,

Posting this photo in hopes of understanding the need and purpose of the deteriorated plastic/nylon washer that is attached to the Inner Strut, P/N 9899-2. This washer is not shown in the Cruisair parts manual for the main landing gear so I’m wondering is it’s needed. What I can say about the washer is that it’s very soft and pliable and causes the inner strut not to suck up firmly to the top of the Upper Strut, P/N 9899-3. In fact, the Inner Strut is allowed to move side-to-side inside the Lower Strut, P/N 9899-1.

Thanks
Scott

The photo is of the piston [the uppermost internal part] of the Cruisair shock strut. There should be a stud on the up side of this part. The stud went through a matching hole at the top of the upper gear strut, itself. Originally the factory installed a thick, soft lead washer before inserting the stud through the hole. This was supposed to be a seal to keep fluid from leaking out when the gear was retracted. I have made my own lead washers out of sheet lead and a hole punch.

Thank you, again, Dan. Yes, everything as you describe is as-is except the lead washer. My thoughts exactly that a washer of some type is needed to prevent the fluid from leaking out of the top. The lead washer has since been replaced with what now looks like a decomposed plastic milk carton lid. Hard to say if it was effective since all the gear oil would leak out past the vee packings (chevrons). Ahh, the joys of keeping a 74 year old airplane flying and landing safely, while discovering the shortcomings of previous owners and A&Ps fixes.

Thanks Dan, was not able to find that in any of my paperwork. I have had issues of bouncing on my landings and it is more than likely not enough fluid in them.

Extra oil won't hurt a thing. Too little oil allows you to land on the taxi spring. The Cruisair shock strut, as primitive as it is, allows nice soft landings.

I used Dan suggestion and jacked it up to get to the top fill plug, filled it so I could not put any more in it and today I had the best no bouncing landing I have ever had with this ole plane! Thanks Dan for the big tip!!!

Back