Maule tailwheel conversion

legilbert

On my 1970 7ECA is a Scott 3200 tail wheel and I have a shimmy problem landing on paved runways. I discussed this with my IA and asked about new leaf springs and adjusting the castor on this and he said that all of this might solve the shimmy problem but, he also said that I should consider a Maule tailwheel conversion. Has anyone done this conversion? If so how do you like it?

I don't have any experience with the Maul tail wheel, but new leaf springs fixed my shimmy problem, and I would guess for a lot cheaper than a new tail wheel assembly! I have a '79 7ECA.

Bill

I have to agree with Bill it would be cheaper to try a new TW spring assy. the Scott 3200 is the best TW on the market and I seriously doubt that a Maule TW will fix the problem unless the Scott is so worn out that it needs OH. Parts for the Scott can be gotten from Bush Wheels for much less money than from Scott and they are the same / interchangeable.
Here's a link to Alaskan Bushwheels:
http://www.akbushwheel.com/index.html

Does the TW currently steer well, will it full swivel with ease? If so there is probably not much wrong with the TW its self and is likely a spring or alginment problem check that all the bolts are tight and that the steering springs are the right one and have tension on them.

Thanks for your advice guys. I've ordered new leaf springs and all of the associated hardware. Going to stick with the Scott 3200 TW.
lg

LG

Did the new tailspring assembly fix the tw shimmy?

I have the exact same problem with my 7GCBC on pavement. I did order a new tail spring but did not install it yet...

Bruno

Rubber spacer, I was up hunting in the arctic, lucky for me with my IA friend, when he fixed my tailwheel by putting a rubber spacer between the top spring and the fuselage, made a big difference and supposed to asorb some of the shock.

Terry

Back