Mechanic Rates survey

hermh

I am having convulsions over the rates that i am being charged for some things. I thought it would be interesting to get some feedback from you all on this.
I had a tailwheel "serviced" on my '76 decathlon. they changed the tire, packed the bearings installed new pull springs. and hit me for $489.00. :shock:

they had 6 hours at $65.00 per hour. plus parts.

so i thought we could do a survey of everyones experiences.

A. what does your mechanic charge per hour?
B. what does it end up costing you for an oil change?

please state at least the town and airport.

(i have not had to pay for an oil chang YET.)
thanks!
Herm

Herm-

The per hour rate is quiet reasonable, six hours?????? to change the tire, pack the bearings and install steering springs is not.

This is a two hour job at most, did you deliver the plane to the shop or did they drive to the hangar, open the doors, taxi it to the shop, and do the same to return it?

Since I do my own work I can work slow, even so I would do the job start to finish, with clean up, in no more than two hours.

Tom-

I wonder if that may have something to do with why so many are going experimental. I know of several who are flying, but out of annual, etc. There does not seem to be any oversight of these out of control mechanics, and the ridiculous prices some of them charge. It is definitely not conducive to preventive maintenance and good safety. These individuals should be reported to a website at least, so market pressures may exert some pressure on them.

I think 60 an hr. is about the goiung rate here in south Ms. A lot depends on the individual mechanic "some" will over charge but most will not. Depending on the setup the mechanic has his overhead could be high. I know a mechanic at a local airport that pays 500 a month for his shop, then you have your insurance, you should see the price of that it's unreal,you just think your bill was high, so probably if your mechanic is not a traveling mechanic he's probably only getting to keep half that. One thing you might want to look at is finding a mechanic that will let you do owner assisted work for a small fee, you can save a lot. A "new" O 320 will cost 20K that price is unreal also. I priced the small center piece on the front upper cowling of a Cessna 172B this week for a guy here, the piece measured 11 3/4" by 6 3/4" .Yling aviation priced it to me at 753.42 ,piece by piece at that rate the thing would cost a million to buy. Anyway you go it's a costly "habit" this flying is but don't you just love it!!!!

Woodie
N29763

Just as a point of comparison, my '97 8KCAB just completed its annual inspection today. I dropped it off with the mechanic on Tuesday afternoon and just flew it home. Total cost $509.

The break down was $450 for labor (9 hrs @ $50/hr) and $49.52 in parts (4 new break pads), with the balance being for the state.

I do the oil changes myself so I can't comment on what a shop would charge for those.

cyav8r

Nine hours at $50.00 per hour seems about right. One of the worst cases I heard about was a poor soul who was charged 8 hours labor for changing one magneto on a Piper 140. As it's right out in the open, it would be a two hour job at best. The guy protested but what are you going to do other than not go back next time?

All in all, I've always felt I've been treated fairly. However, I've been a mechanic (diesel) for over 45 years and I pretty much also work with my AI.

Alot depends on his overhead and desire to help the owner. I don't know how many A&P's carry liability insurance. I do know it is outrageous.. Having to keep up with everchanging rules and reg's. One has to read constantly to keep abreast of the FAR"s. Now I only do Annuals on close friends airplanes.
The best advice I can give you would be to be-friend an A&P that has a good reputation and make him your "best friend". He has to be able to trust you if you want to "help" with the Annual or anything else. If the owner wants to help me it will usually take longer to complete the Annual. There is just so much you can give the owner to do to where he isn't in the way. When I have an owner helping me it is "school time" I explain everything I'm doing so he has an understanding of the complexity of the inspection process. When the Annual is finished he has a much better understanding of just what is involved and why it takes so long which equates into $$$ labor cost. If the A&P is known to cut corners don't even talk to the guy. Find someone with fabric background. Someone that has a love for old planes. Most younger A&P's have very little experience with fabric. Just enough to pass their test and nothing more. Good luck in finding your "newest best friend". Check with the local EAA Chapter. They usually have some
"seasoned" A&P's with some free time.

The last time I had my Champ annualed (sp?) the guy came to me, drove about two hrs one way, total was $300. I like this guy!!!!!!!!!!

Everything else I do myself.

Back