Metal prop on Cruisair???

gjordan

What type (McCauley, Sensenich), what length and more importantly, what static RPM do you get and what RPM in climb? I have a 150 but would be interested in numbers from a 165 also. Thanks, ____Grant.

Grant,
My previous Cruisair had a McCauley 1A170 M7561.
It was great at Cruise, I flight planned 120 knots and almost always got it.
Take off was OK and climb was OK but not amazing. I never worried about getting off the ground even fully loaded at altitude and hot.
I think there was a previous suggestion to go to a 74 inch length. Overall, it was nice having a prop with no AD..

Was the McCauley installed with the STC or a 337? I am going to start looking for paperwork to install a 74-60. I think the original STC is unavailable so any info I can give my IA will help. Thanks, ______Grant.

Grant,
Mine was installed under the STC, but I unfortunately no longer have a copy.
You might call Scott Thomas. He flies an aeromatic but I think he has a copy of the stc

I checked mine tonight and it has a 76 inch prop on it, can not tell you how it performs yet, it has been a hanger queen for a few years!

Grant, here is info for the metal prop that was on my Cruisair when I purchased it in '91. (Sensenich M-74DR0-61)

This is from the propeller service company that overhauled it in '99:
Sensenich Propeller Service, Inc., Repair Station #S46R346N
Overhauled in accordance with Manual: SPRM 590
Prop Model: M-74DR0-60 (repitched)
Serial No: 41993
Repitched to 60 degrees (from 61 degrees)

I looked through old logs and found that in '95 a McCauley prop was removed and was replaced with a Sensenich (not the one that was on it when I bought it), and then right after that the McCauley was re-installed. Then in '66 log entry shows that a Koppers Aeromatic was on the engine at an annual. And, then in July '67 the Aeromatic was replaced with the Sensenich M-74DR0-61 with only a log book entry signed by A&P. It looks like when the plane was completely project rebuilt in the early '70's the Sensenich was kept. Enlightening to browse old log books.

I did find a hand written note on a copy of an Aircraft Specification No. A-773 sheet for the 14-13-2 in a notebook that references "STC SA29EA 1962 for prop". Might include something for the Sensenich metal prop? I could not find anything searching for that STC.

Jeff, is yours a 165 or a 150, and what RPM at static do you get? My wood prop barely makes static and has a long ground run. Sure is pretty , but not too efficient. Thanks for the info. _____Grant.

Grant, my Franklin is a 165 with intake manifold, carburetor, and zone for a 165.

I've had the Aeromatic on the plane now for about 10 years. I don't remember specific rpm's for the Sensenich.

I do remember that the Aeromatic produced about 200 more rpm at take off than the Sensenich.

I had the Sensenich repitched as a climp prop. The engine was red lined with the Sensenich prop for 3000 rpm. At alts of around 4000 - 5000 feet the metal prop at generally a slightly higher rpm would give me a slightly higher cruise speed. My aeromatic now produces around 145 mph TAS at full power (4000 - 5000 alt / approx 2500 rpm); it red lines the engine at 2850 rpm. I've noticed too that I don't think the aeromatic (not a high alt version) gets me up to alt quite as high as the metal did. Seems to poop out above 5000 as far as climb perf.

I do like the aeromatic because of the better low alt climb performance, it doesn't seem to do much more for me than that; it looks good.

Thanks, Jeff, I appreciate the information. I also had an Aeromatic on mine for a while and what a wonderful difference it made. Larry L sent me info on the McCauley STC so I think It will keep my IA happy. ____Grant.

Back