Metal Props On Cruisaires

nvracer

I have been trying to get the following STCs :

STC #SA29EA Held by Thomas Solt Jr.
Sensenich M74DR fixed pitch prop on aircraft with Franklin 6A4-165-B3

And

STC #SA1-104 Same STC holder as above
McCauley 1A170 propeller on a 14-13 series.

I have both props. The problem is that the STC holder is deceased.

The FAA will approve the prop(s) if I can provide them with a photo copy of the STCs. I know that some of you guys are running these props. Can you help me out or do you have other solutions.

Thanks--Ray N33GM

I have the approval for a metal prop on my 14-13-3 approved at the OKC office. If you need a copy I can email or fax a copy to you. A friend that lives in OKC is an I.A. got it approved for me with no STC. Greg

I have a copy of the STC for the 1a170, however, my stc no. is sa1029we dated 1965, the prop was installed in 1992. the stc calls for a 7654, but I went to a 7656, however, since I live at 5000 feet and operate off of a short grass runway, I'm repitching it back to specs this fall when I put it away in favor of more snow friendly machines, the old wood winged wonder doesn't like snow much.

Hi Merritt,

Thanks for the help. Guess I should have given more info . The 1A170 that I have is a 7460. The Sensenich is also a 7460. Some of the STCs don't seem to specify pitch. I am at 4700 ft. The McCauley seems to climb the best.

Ray

I'd agree on the mccauly giving a hair better performance. Sorry I could not have been of any help in the STC dept. Now I see why your looking for a different number, I was scratching my head. Where are you located at? If you need help with anything else, let me know, I do have some copies of numerous stc's in my file, I'll check and see what I can track down for you and see if I have anything else that would help with the props.

But have yet to fly with it. How does a metal prop compare with the Koppers Aeromatic F200 performance-wise?

Dangerous Dave

Hi Dave,

I liked my Aeromatic better but one blade was no longer legal due to broken bolts. With a fixed pich prop the pitch will determine your maximum RPM at take off and your maximum speed as well as your rate of climb. Performance in some areas will be comprimised to gain in others. I would like to find a good set of Aeromatic blades, but will use metal props for now. What prop are you going to use? Do you have an STC for it?

Thanks,

Ray

I have a McCauley DM7559 KLIPTIP with proper paperwork. It was on the plane at the time of purchase, but the engine was kaput.

DD

Hi guys, Greg cglucas & NC74392 & Merritt

I would like copies of anything that you have regarding the use of metal props on 14-13 s. If I can show the local FAA people that many types of props are installed on Cruisaires, they might go ahead and OK my situation. Please contact me directly at classichunters@charter.net

I will give you my address so that you can mail copies to me.

Also, Merritt, do you have any paperwork for Cleveland brakes on a 14-13?

Thanks,

Ray

I have a prop installed per this STC. In my paper work I have the 337 but not a copy of the STC. If anyone has this STC paper work I would like to get a copy for my records.

Thanks,
Kevin

What about the ol' rumor that metal props on 150/165 Franks cause crankshaft failures. Maybe Dr. Lucas can weigh in? Ken McCune

To avoid the cracking issue of the crankshaft hub on my 165 h.p. on my bird I've installed the wooden prop showing on the type certificate from 150 h.p. It's almost like taking off with aeromatic in full coarse...I don't know how a 150 h.p. could swing that and meet perfomances in the book! but the cruise is good. I,d rather go with finer pitch. If I had an aeromatic, i would get it fixed because this airplane performs at its best with it. The wood prop I've installed with LSTC is w74rr66. It would be better if it was 62 instead of 66. Right now i can get about 2450 max rpm. and 155 m.p.h on a fresh dry day. 3/4 tanks and alone. 230 pound of meat.
Tarver is making those aeromatic again and has a nice web site but it's not cheap.
By the way, I've heard that Sue at Franklin engine in Texas managed to find somebody to make the 165 crankshaft that are getting so rare and it will be certified. but I don't know when. This is the reason I went wood, knowing my luck!!! Anybody know more about this rumor?
Regards
Alain.

Back