MLG actuator overhaul

STK

I need to overhaul the MLG actuators on my Cruisemaster. It is a late model with the adjustable forks. The data tag is unreadable aside from Electrol, so I am hoping you all can help me out with a part number, or better yet , what part numbers I need to rebuild them.

Also, any recommendations on tires or ones to avoid (obviously re-treads are out)

Thanks,
Shawn

The main gear cylinders on my -2 were Goodrich p/n 18500-20. These are pretty easy to overhaul with new O rings AN6227B-19,10,7. If I remember correctly there are two half moon lock rings on the main shaft. They like to fall out so don't loose them. Keep the plane on jacks and the gear unlocked so they will come off and on pretty easy. The unit will self prime when you first use them so top off the reservoir when your done. I like Goodyear tires Flt Special II. Lynn the crate

The attached picture will give you a pretty good view of what you are up against when overhauling one of the actuators (this is not the same exact actuator from the -2, but uses the same internal components). I described the process of the overhaul in a separate thread, which involves honing the bore of the cylinder and a few other details. I'll try to find the link.

I found this in an old thread. I am trying to make sure that these part numbers will be the same for my Electrol cylinders. Thank you both for the information.

Re: landing gear springs
Post by gjordan » Jul 12, 2018, 9:50 pmpm

Since we are on the subject of hydraulic gear and my notebook is right in front of me, I will give the numbers for the O-rings in the retract cylinders (Bellanca part # 18500-20) for one cylinder 3 each AN 6227B-19, 1 each, AN 6227B-7, 1 each AN 6227B-10. They are available for a few dollars from Aircraft Spruce. Another point to inspect other than the drag link bracket, is the much small bracket that the hydraulic cylinders attach to. They seem to have a track record of cracking or complete failure. I believe that one of our members made a batch of them that were stronger than the originals. Glad to see you are enjoying your new plane. ___Grant.

Shawn, to the best of my knowledge the part number Lynn refers to, 18500-XX, is a Bellanca assigned part number. They purchased the actuators from Electrol (along with the powerpack) which were built to this specification. I was not aware that Goodrich also supplied the actuators but Lynn is an expert on everything Cruisemaster so this good information. I am very confident that the o-rings will be the same as Lynn mentioned and confirmed in the post by Grant Jordan. BTW, the same o-rings are used in the flap actuating cylinder located adjacent to the powerpack. I have a set of low quality scanned images of the old Bellanca actuator drawing - if you would like to have a copy of these files just let me have your email address and I will send them to you. --Rob

Rob,
I would love to have a copy for my records. I am trying to put together a maintenance file for the airplane, so anything I come across in the forum threads that I think might be useful I print off to have on hand. My email is stkramer72@gmail.com

Thank you,
Shawn

Back