MMO

dlafave

I would like to k now the pros/cons of using MMO. I use mogas when it is available, but the local FBO only offers 100LL.

dlafave

Shoot me an e-mail to cruisair@hotmail.com and I'll send you a great article on Marvel MO :)

If you ever had a Lycoming with morning sickness (valve hanging up in the valve guide) then you know about Marvel mystery Oil. Lyc morning sickness is fixed with the rope trick then add some MMO every oil change and you will not have that problem again, I have been using MMO for 25 years and what ever is in it works, even if you are cheap Dude and use car gas. Thats not to bright now adays as you don't know what the hell is in it besides corn. Lynn : D

http://www.kanolabs.com

They have a product called "Kreen" that works very well dispursing the carbon build up and freeing up sticking valves and rings.

I seem to recall that years ago Aviation Consumuer took some MMO and had it analyzed with a GC/Mass Spec and found that it was essentially a solvent. Don't remember what it was, but do remember that much. Gee, maybe we could get Air Cooled Motors (Franklin) to give us a recommendation...oh wait, are they still around? Oh well...

Take a part that is carbined up and caked with grease and put it in a can with MMO and see what happens. It is really pretty good stuff. Whenever I am going to take a trip I add some to the oil and the rest goes in my fuel tanks. I read about a crash a few years ago that the FAA found what looked like MMO in the tanks and added that to all the reasons the plane crashed into the side of a mountain at full speed. You really do not need to run it all the time. It takes a few hours of running to build up enough carbin to stick a valve. The Viking has fuel injection and I beleive it really helps in not having stopped up injectors. I am not sure if it makes any difference with the plugs, but in 1500 hrs in a Cruiseair and Viking I have not ever had to pull a plug because its fouled. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back